Stolen sheets

Judi804
Level 2
Oakridge, OR

Stolen sheets

So expensive sheets were taken, i know for a fact as i had 2 sets and after guests checked out, there were only 1. guest denied taking but said " as they went missing during our visit i can zelle you the money". What is the appropriate response to this?

5 Replies 5
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Judi804 Go to resolution center. Don’t do anything thats not on airbnb’s platform.

May I ask why are you using expensive sheets in a rental.  

They were 80.00 on sale for 145 sheets so not outrageous. I try providing as high end as I can. I've been doing this for 18 months and never had any thing, besides some coffee mugs taken before.  The guest offered to zelle.  the money why go through resolution,?

@Judi804 $80 is still too expensive for a rental.

TBH, I don’t think you will receive ONE CENT from the guest through Zelle. You may not receive anything from AirBnb either. It depends on receipts, how long you have had the sheets, and whether guest agrees on Airbnb platform that she owes you for missing sheets. It seems to me she would have just said, I accidentally packed them and then mail them back to you. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Judi804 Sorry to hear about that, we never leave spare bedding or towels or something will go missing in our properties we clean twice a week so we know exactly what should be there, Our cleaner always brings the dirty ones back to us,

Towels have gone missing they have left them at the beach but I charge for them,

Some years ago in one of my villas the cleaner left the closet unlocked the guest used every towel we had, never did that again,

I do know of host near me that had all the bedding stolen.

@Judi804  It's not implausible that your guest stole the sheets, but one thing that happens even more frequently is that people throw a sheet in the trash, or even hide it somewhere weird, to cover up some obvious damage or embarrassing stains. 

If you're comfortable with a private arrangement for the guest to compensate you off-platform, go for it. But there's no backup from Airbnb there, so if the resolution claim window passes and the money still hasn't been transferred, you're out of luck.