Strict NON REFUNDABLE cancellation policy

Strict NON REFUNDABLE cancellation policy

Honestly, I feel extremely frustrated with the way AIRBNB DON’T RESPECT my Strict NON REFUNDABLE no matter what cancellation policy.

First at all, Airbnb has to realise that hosts offer their homes to Airbnb in order to be rent, the Conditions we put our house for rental are OUR conditions, not the guests or AIRBNB, that’s why we CHOSE the STRICT NON REFUNDABLE NO MATTER WHAT cancellation policy.

i’m VERY surprised the way this issue is treated, and NOBODY at Airbnb in a month gave me an intelligent... logic ... realistic answer!!  

I need to escalate this issue. Because the case is closed without fundament or any kind of logic.

i will appreciate that Airbnb RESPECT the conditions that I want to rent my property.

Enough damage Airbnb have done a year ago giving all the refunds to guests a year ago.

This  dictatorship one side management needs to stop. 

19 Replies 19

Here is how Airbnb closed my case

FE4CF22C-FEDD-4D33-B37C-7EBA61163604.png

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mark-and-Gabriela0  Are you saying that Airbnb refunded a guest who had chosen the non-refundable option, or that you want all your bookings to be non-refundable?

If the latter, that is not an option, as the message from CS informed you. If you can't work with Airbnb cancellation policies, and the fact that while the host can list that as an option, guests are not required to choose it, then Airbnb isn't the right platform for you.

Personally, I would never choose a place to book that had a total non-refundable policy, just to save 10%.

Sarah, above is the cancellation policy I chose for my properties!!! 

airbnb refunded to the guest money. First at all Airbnb tried to blame me stating I’ve changed. When they realized I didn’t  change it (obviously they didn’t apologized) , i’ve sent them emails showing them, some reservation comes as strict and others as non refundable.

i’ve never authorized a 10% discount to any guest

Do you understand I’m the owner of the property!!

18785F26-0399-448F-BB37-3143CC342489.png

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mark-and-Gabriela0  Yes, of course I understand that you are the host.

But I'm not sure what your point is. The wording says Strict or Non-refundable, not Strict and Non-refundable. It also says a non-refundable option, meaning the guest has the option to choose one or the other. 

You cannot force a guest to use the non-refundable option.

And the non-refundable option always has a 10% discount attached to it. It isn't something you can choose to eliminate. The idea of it is that you are willing to accept 10% less in exchange for never having to refund.

But if you are saying that the guest chose the non-refundable option and Airbnb refunded them anyway, that is of course not okay. Because most experienced hosts know that Airbnb will often refund a guest in contravention of the host's cancellation policy, the non- refundable isn't a good choice for hosts. 

If we could trust Airbnb to respect that non-refundable means non-refundable, no matter what story the guest cooks up, it might be a good option to offer. But as things stand, it isn't.

Sarah, my point is very clear,  my reservation has to be non refundable NO MATTER WHAT!!!

The guest OR Airbnb have NOT RIGHT TO CHANGE how I WANT to rent my place . If yhe guest don’t want NON-REFUNDABLE..., DON’t Rent it.... choose another property... very easy

@Mark-and-Gabriela0 You've chosen the option that lets the GUEST decide which cancellation policy they want - Strict OR Non refundable. Two options. Guest chooses. If the guest chooses strict, then they will be refunded accordingly. If they choose non refundable, they get the discount and no refund. The guest of the booking in question must have chosen strict. I don't believe there is a single non refundable only option.

Non-refundable option

If you use a Flexible, Moderate, or Strict cancellation policy, you can also offer a discounted non-refundable rate alongside your standard rate. At checkout, guests can either select your standard rate—subject to your Flexible, Moderate, or Strict cancellation policy—or the discounted non-refundable rate. If guests select the non-refundable rate and decide to cancel, you get paid 100% for all nights booked, minus the cleaning fee if the cancellation occurs before check-in.

It is sooooo easy to understand 

@Mark-and-Gabriela0  Yet you don't seem to understand it. You do not have the option to force a guest to use the non-refundable policy.

It says Strict OR Non-refundable. 

As I said, if you can't live with how the Airbnb cancellation policies work, then it's your choice as to whether to list on Airbnb.

OP, I think the point is that airbnb has cancellation policies for you to choose from. None of them are 100% non refundable. By listing with them, you choose one and that holds for your listing.

@Mark-and-Gabriela0   As others have already explained to you, if the guest didn't choose the discounted Non-Refundable option, the booking automatically defaulted to the "Strict" cancellation policy, which is at the top of the list you posted above. If your payout was consistent with the terms of that policy, the refund was valid.

Many hosts would love to have the choice of non-refundable under all circumstances as their cancellation policy. But to once again echo others, it's not on the menu. And even if it were, such a policy may be superseded by local laws or voided by Extenuating Circumstances

I don't necessarily agree with the menu; I'd prefer if guests just bought their own cancellation insurance. But most people living under dictatorial rule aren't at liberty to simply switch to a nicer nationality, whereas hosts are free to leave Airbnb whenever they want.