Suspended Account as reported guest with hosting a party with 15+

Helen2252
Level 2
Norcross, GA

Suspended Account as reported guest with hosting a party with 15+

My listing has indicated there’s security camera at the front of the house. Through the camera I see different people, cars in and out. 
Reported to Airbnb but they did nothing. They contacted me back after the reservation over, asked for sources of those pictures.

Now they suspended my account. Is this normal?

Thanks

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Helen2252 Yes I am afraid this seems to be the new normal. Airbnb seem to be clamping down on undisclosed cameras by suspending any listing with a camera rather than putting in the effort of checking the listing to see if a camera is disclosed.

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Helen2252   The following link is Airbnb’s policy on cameras.  However, as @Mike-And-Jane0  mentioned, Airbnb, particularly more recently seem to suspend a listing if a guest even hints about a camera.  I find it incredibly frustrating and unfair when the camera has been disclosed correctly by the Host.  A guest often books without reading all the details, and the camera disclosure is right at the bottom of listings and not obvious.

@Catherine-Powell   Surely it is a very quick and simple thing for Customer Support receiving a complaint from a guest regarding cameras to check the listing to see if they have been disclosed?  Also for the Guest to prove any undisclosed cameras?  Many hosts who have done absolutely nothing wrong have their listings suspended for weeks awaiting a decision.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2914/informing-guests-about-security-devices

Hi @Helen2252,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other Hosts. The team has reviewed your case and let me know someone has since been in touch with you to share more information as to what exactly happened here. Hopefully this will avoid any confusion with cameras going forward.

@Kate867,

We take these situations and reports very seriously, and when investigations are required we have an obligation to proceed with them. I do think we have to improve how we work with our Hosts when this happens. A Host should never be surprised when a guest makes a claim and the Host's side of the story always has to be taken into consideration. This is a very big priority of mine right now.

As always, thank you for contributing so honestly and regularly with us here.

Kindly,

Catherine