Suspicious request

Elodie449
Level 1
Medellín, Colombia

Suspicious request

Hi there! I'm brand new as a host and have decided to play the safety card when it comes to bookings as I so not want to risk anything in my personal home. 

I have asked to set the criteria for guests to profile photo required, identity verified and reviews .

This person has none of the above, just a confirmed email and has quite literally just signed up on Airbnb.

My ad has been up since yesterday. Do you have advice for this? 

Should I be suspicious? 

1 Reply 1
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Elodie449 

Should you be suspicious? No, not necessarily. I have hosted lots of new guests and most of them were great. Also, just because you have those requirements for instant book, it doesn't mean that a guest who doesn't have reviews or verified ID can't send you an enquiry or booking request. It doesn't mean they are trying to flout those requirements. They probably don't even know about them.

However, you are right to be cautious when it comes to letting strangers into your home. My advice to you would to be:

- If you don't think it will affect your position in the search results too much, turn off Instant Booking. I would not advise any new host to use this if they can avoid it.

- Ask the guest to get their ID verified by Airbnb, upload a profile photo if they haven't already done so (you can't see this until after they book so you can't tell if they have one or not) and tell you a bit about themselves and the purpose of their visit.

- Ask them to confirm they have read the full listing and house rules. I include an 'Easter egg' question in mine which they need to answer so that I know they are telling the truth about that.

The correspondence with the guest is often more useful in getting a feel for them than the reviews. Often, hosts will leave generic reviews, or not leave a review when there is a problem, so the reviews are sometimes not that useful anyway.