Tech help! How to use 3 HDMI’s on the same TV?

Lexi775
Level 2
Kailua-Kona, HI

Tech help! How to use 3 HDMI’s on the same TV?

Hi there, we have an old-school TV, and have cable, a DVD player and a Roku that need to all be plugged into the back.  There are only two HDMI outlets, what do I need to get in order for all three to be able to be plugged in at the same time ?  It needs to be simple so that guests don’t have to mess with it. Any ideas? 

4 Replies 4
Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Lexi775 here is an article explaining an HDMI switch cable that will solve your problem.

https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/photo-video/add-hdmi-ports-tv-3682073/#:~:text=You%20simply%20con....

Hope it helps 🙂

Jorge
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lexi775 

Lexi, there are a number of devices on the market that will do what you want to achieve.

I am not sure what you will have there on the Big Island  but, there will certainly be something available in Honolulu.

Here in Australia we have a large office supply chain called Officeworks and they stock this switch which is bi-directional and will allow you to connect 2 signal sources to the one HDMI port on the TV.......

HDMI double adaptor.png

Just remember Lexi, when searching for a suitable product, you need a 'Switch', not a splitter!

All a splitter does is convert one signal to two or more outputs but, it is the same signal.

This switch does not enable you to use multiple signals at the same time like split screen, as you would get on your screen with 'Zoom'. It is an either/or situation where you switch from one device to the other via the switch, but it does allow you to connect more devices to your TV than you have HDMI inputs.

It is not expensive, that $35 AUD translates to about $27 USD.....Good luck tracking one down! 

Cheers........Rob

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lexi775   Most people are streaming via the ROKU -- put your DVD player away.  I found that my DVD players were not getting used, so I have removed them.  I have had absolutely no complaints. 

Alternatively, if you have a second TV located elsewhere in the house, attach the DVD to it.  

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  get rid of the DVD Player there is plenty of entertainment on the Internet Via Streaming. I have a DVD player and I have some Videos but no one has ever used my DVD player.

Just google "free TV Streaming".

I also have 10 TV's