Thanks for cancelling, what a relief

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Thanks for cancelling, what a relief

Those were literally my words to a guest who booked for a workshop of 20 people and said would not be providing ID for the protection of her "students" Amazingly, she has 14 all five star reviews. I am continuing to be fascinated by the fact that people think that when they book an Airbnb, they basically get full ownership of the property for the duration of booking. There are no rules to apply to them. They will be handed over keys to a five bedroom house downtown Chicago and they will bring whoever they want for whatever they want. And when there is push back they are stunned

25 Replies 25
Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

I put  my cheapest room up $10 a night last year and found i actually have had more bookings since and no problems so think a better clientele. 

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Inna22 I agree with you that a guest should respect your home. I do not praise you for being rude. We are all in the hospitality business on here and being rude to a guest is unacceptable. You represent us all on Airbnb and I would never speak this way to a guest no matter what their responses or situation is. Be the bigger person, be kind always!

Jorge

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0  "What relief" isn't rude. The guest was rude to think she could get away with this and to refuse to provide info on the other guests.

You can run your business however you see fit, but personally I don't subscribe to the notion that one has to be "kind" to people who are anything but kind themselves.

This is how entitled, rude people continue to go through life with this attitude- because no one ever calls them out on it or pushes back.

@Sarah977 there are ways to respond and be kind. The world and Airbnb needs more kindness in these times. You never know what others are going through. All you can control is what you do.

Jorge

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0 

for starters, using your own terminology, you are judging me, you don’t know where I’m coming from. You’re calling me rude based on a six word discussion title. You’ve come to my post to accuse me to represent the entirety of Airbnb in a bad light. By your own standards, perhaps this should’ve been comment best kept to yourself. You are making unkind judgmental unsolicited comments to me accusing me of the same thing.

As for this woman, she is the one reflecting on Airbnb in a far worse way. People like her, who plan to organize illegal gatherings at our homes are the ones who make Airbnb a curse term in the neighborhoods.

Not to mention that what she’s planning is a fire and a structural hazard and she’s endangering the group of people she’s bringing. She has coerced innocent unsuspected folk to pay her for this workshop when she has no license and renting the space illegally. 

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0 

Thanks for cancelling, what a relief.

Personally I thought @Inna22 's response was extremely polite, and kinder than the guest deserves. It seems your definition of "kind" is very different. 

@Inna22 you said those were literally your own words on the first line of your post. I agreed you should decline the guest and I just think there is a nicer way to position it. If someone positioned a response to me in that way I would never do business with them again.

I stand behind my be kind, as I can only respond to what you posted. If there was more please share I'm very open minded.

Jorge

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0  You seem to miss the point that she has no desire to ever do business with this person again. 

@Sarah977  she has also missed my point about her, herself, engaging in unkind accusatory manner. All in all, this is someone who only wants to hear themselves speak

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Inna22,

In January 2020 Keep Cool and I were looking to import a pick up truck from the UK.  It turns out that the guy from the company who was selling the vehicle wasn't too familiar with the process of selling a vehicle that would be immediately exported after sale (they don't charge VAT, and have to file paperwork with Inland Revenue, and coordinate with the shipper that I select to have the vehicle picked up from them and provide the appropriate paperwork).  After a short while, we decided not to buy it (a good decision, because the pandemic hit and the borders closed while we were off island).  The man's response to my email was, "Oh, thank you.  That's a relief."  In no way did I take his comment to be rude, but rather an acknowledgment that he was happy not to continue with a sale that he wasn't comfortable with doing.  I probably won't contact him again when I do decide to make the purchase, but it won't be because I thought he was being rude.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

Totally appreciate the relief! I am also so glad that we have a space to ventilate.

I appreciate your reminder @Angelica-Y-Jorge0  to be kind.  xx

@Inna22 Thank you for sharing just how difficult things can be at the upper end of the market... my sister was renting a gorgeous place which was often booked by excessively wealthy people who were apparently so obnoxious that she gave up. I think that somehow Airbnb is more reflective and that we can influence people and inform them in ways that persuade/oblige them to be more considerate. I really appreciate your self assertion.