Thanks for cancelling, what a relief

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Thanks for cancelling, what a relief

Those were literally my words to a guest who booked for a workshop of 20 people and said would not be providing ID for the protection of her "students" Amazingly, she has 14 all five star reviews. I am continuing to be fascinated by the fact that people think that when they book an Airbnb, they basically get full ownership of the property for the duration of booking. There are no rules to apply to them. They will be handed over keys to a five bedroom house downtown Chicago and they will bring whoever they want for whatever they want. And when there is push back they are stunned

25 Replies 25
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Inna22 Your reply though...how satisfying 👍

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Inna22 I thought Airbnb had a 16 person limit?

@Mike-And-Jane0 exactly

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

yaaooo @Inna22  your stories are getting better and better, you should publish the compilation 😄

"Thank you for canceling, what a relief! " .... I've never actually said it loud that way but this was my exact thought a few times already :)))))

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 I had a guest last week enter a request marked for 4 and then her message said "where do 10 people sleep here?" (10 is our max allowed guest count... all of this is explained in the listing... and we also clearly say that we only allow booked guests allowed on property for day/drop-in or overnight guests). So, then I sent her a message that said, we don't do extra drop in guests, here's a quote for 10 people.

She was OFFENDED: "Hi Kellee, I don't consider air mattresses suitable sleeping arrangements for guests, unless it's in a pinch but definately NOT if I have to pay extra and then make them sleep on an air mattress. The reason your property attracted me was because it's big enough to handle my family if needed. As I mentioned in my earlier message, they all work and most likely won't be staying with us, except possibly on the weekend. I have a daughter in Austin that would most likely come have dinner with us a couple nights a week. The fact that you would object to one of my kids (who live in TX) stopping by to see me why I'm out visiting and vacationing tells me that your house is not the place for us. I want to feel relaxed and at home when I rent a place. Defiantely don't want to feel like my privacy is being violated. No thank you."{Sic}

She had missed the part that I definitely don't want to have her family traipsing in and out all week when she's only booked for 4 people. Oh, you won't be booking?!? I'm crushed.

@Kelly149  And she couldn't even be bothered to spell your 5 letter, fairly common name correctly. Cull.

@Sarah977 We've got a houseful of dyslexics over here, so I'm totally cool with weird spellings... but if it's pointed out to you that you've missed the boat with understanding a listing, then to come back and be offended that it isn't what you wanted, despite being exactly what it says it is is pretty crazy. Yah, good riddance on that one! How about "I want my host to feel relaxed and at home, IN THEIR OWN HOME, when I rent a place." Classic, who cares about you, give me what I want, and that's a hard pass from me.

@Kelly149  Here's the part that jumps out at me- "but definately NOT if I have to pay extra and then make them sleep on an air mattress."

Unclear on the concept that she doesn't "make" any guests do anything. That it's the host who decides what the sleeping arrangements are and how much to charge for them. And there is obviously zero consciousness of the fact that an extra guest can cost you $10 with no profit involved. Between the towels and bedding they dirty, the coffee, and whatever else you provide, the hot showers, the electricity they plug their devices and hair dryers into, the soap shampoo and toilet paper they use up, $10 extra is a deal. Some people don't seem to even try to use their brains. 

@Sarah977 right, I don’t actually “want” those extra guests above the 6 real beds. I have the capacity for it but it is priced to be a little uncomfortable. And the simple math is that I’m happy to host 2-4 people at one price but once there are more, it will cost MORE. Why in the world would I price myself at the max capacity on every reservation and thus overcharge smaller groups??

and if you’re visiting people who live here then why aren’t you visiting at their house?!? Oh, bc that would make a mess at their house you say? Oh, great, please book elsewhere. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Inna22 I've often felt this way. 

I'm trying to come up with a kind but firm way to explaining in my house rules that even though we appreciate our guests and want them to enjoy the space,  there are limits on what they should expect to be able to do.  And then list what is and isn't permitted without sounding too cranky. Because like @Kelly149 ' Karen,  many of my guests truly believe if they book they own the place.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  I think it's challenging to come up with kind and gentle ways to tell people what should be obvious to any decent, halfway intellligent person- It's Not Your Home!

How is it that people rent hotel rooms, cars, equipment, bicycles, kayaks, all kinds of things, and don't have the idea that it is then theirs to do with as they wish, yet an Airbnb listing has to conform to their wishes, not the host's?

@Sarah977 , The Guest/ Host respectful and thoughtful relationship is broken when Guests don't act like Guests, its become more like Landlord/ Renter agreement.  Melodie and I were just talking about the fact that the entire relationship starts with an unintentional  misrepresentation of the service and lodging provision for most properties with the name "Airbnb".  Truth is, there are very few hosts that provide included Breakfast for all in your party with every booking, we dont cook for guests!   Then you have to take into consideration so many hosts are not traditional shared spaces homeshares like yours Sarah as @Brian envisioned and created a company about, especially with covid in town.  Toss in a helping of some places being pseudo flop houses and the visions the lodging service conjure probably arent consistent or reasonable.   

Don't get me wrong, we have really appreciated Airbnb's extensive booking service that allows someone in China to find Bearpath Lodging in tiny Munnsville NY but the original concept that spawned a giant corporation based on extra sleeping space, wine on the patio and chats with guests at the breakfast table has probably run its course. Maybe relaunch as Airlodge?  Stay well, JR      

For real. After seeing how large my apartment is, someone actually told me he was going to bring relatives to stay for the evening (for free) even though he was paying a greatly reduced rate.  When I declined, he said "I thought, once I rented I could do whatever I want with the place." I thanked him and cancelled the transaction. Gave him a list of budget hotels and motels. He complained "These are expensive!" I said "Yep! Welcome to Kansas City!"

(He was only paying me $100 for the entire weekend). Took me a while, but I grew a spine 🙂

@Christine615 yes, unfortunately that’s what happens when rate is reduced. That was old Christine, though 🙂