The Culting of Airbnb

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

The Culting of Airbnb

@Ute42 really got me thinking when she mentioned a book called The Culting of Brands.  The author, Douglas Atkin, was once the Global Head of Community.  His deep research into cults - which he says are communities - shows in many ways across our interactions with Airbnb.

He was inspired by talking to teenagers obsessed with Converse.  They didn't see it as merely a good brand of sneakers.  To them it was much more, and together they were a community of people who had Converse in common.

You get that sense around here, don't you?  I think of Airbnb as an excellent tool that serves the needs of my property and my business.  In fact it has allowed me to start a second business with very little effort.  They do all the marketing, advertising, and outreach; I keep the product in great shape and manage the customers.  But there are so many ways in which I feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of Moonies instead of level-headed business-minded people.

Here's an example:  the Teams feature allows you to add people, like a housekeeper.  But it doesn't allow you to screen financial information from anyone on the team.  I asked why this could not be changed, and I was told that the nightly prices are available on the platform for anyone to see. 

This feels so culty to me, in that members of a cult believe all are equal (except Dear Leader) and should have equal access to all resources and information.  It's the opposite of acknowledging that we're each running businesses and must be allowed to run them as we see fit.  Obvi we can do that, as long as we don't ask that the platform gives us normal options for running businesses.  It is a commonplace that any business that shares information can grant members of its organization different levels of access.  But not at Airbnb.  Because that would somehow prevent someone somewhere from feeling like they Belonged.

Another way Airbnb is culty - whenever I talk about money, everyone, including all the admins, runs and hides.  You can just about hear them crying out that it's all about Belonging Anywhere and A Sense of Community and Sustainability but DON'T MENTION THE MONEY.  The ludicrously low pricing suggestions are tinged with a kind of moralistic notion that higher prices mean Someone Out There might not have access to A Sense of Community and Belonging Anywhere.

Then there are the suddenly-delisted hosts.  I told an Airbnb employee that it was insane and Kafka-esque to give hosts in this situation no information whatsoever about why Airbnb had taken this action.  She swiftly answered that Airbnb was prevented from doing so by local laws.  Wait, what!?  This cannot possibly be true.  The very nature of local laws is that they vary to the widest degree possible.  No, there is a deeper, CYA legal reason for this, and companies with deep pockets get away with it because they just shrug and say Sue me.  (McDonald's, for instance, still prefers to settle lawsuits from victims of coffee burns than change the temperature of their coffee.  Cost analysis showed them they'd end up throwing out more coffee than it costs to settle the lawsuits.)  Nevertheless, these unilateral actions, no explanations given, feel culty if not actually Fascist.

Unfortunately, I have zero expectations that I can effect cultural change.  So writing this is just an exercise in venting, with the hope that some of my fellow hosts will see things the same way.  And for that palliative I bet the cult will want me to feel grateful.

1 Best Answer
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Ann72. interesting insight. These are some actual characteristics of cults:  exploitation of members for money: concerted efforts at influence and control; discouragement or even punishment of questioning, doubt or dissent;  leaders dictate how cult members should think, feel and act; and leaders are not accountable to any authorities (that's us, the cult members). Sound familiar?

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@J-Renato0  "It was a woman (homeshare host) who proudly said that - "We the hosts are part of a revolution or moviment that are changing the word in terms of providing accommodation and habits"

And that's not even true. There have been people all over the world, renting out rooms in their homes to travelers, running small pensions, and bed and breakfasts long before there was even any internet, let alone Airbnb. Travelers found them through word-of-mouth, through local ads, a sign on the front door, and travel books. None of the hosts of these places felt they needed to be a part of some "community" of others in order to feel good about what they were doing or to forge mutually beneficial relationships with their guests. 

Chesky likes to act as if he started this sort of thing, but all he did was put the concept online.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Sarah977 

It was a host who said that indeed. She believed on what she was saying, being her naive, guliable or ignorant person.
I know it is not true. I myself, when I was a college student, during some time used to live in a home where the owner used to let 2 spare rooms.

I agree that Airbnb just put the concept online.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ann72 even if your post does not accomplish anything in terms of change, it is a beautiful piece of writing and I truly enjoyed reading it

Awwww @Inna22 thank you! 😘

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Same @Inna22  (I enjoyed reading this thoughtful piece... even though I may not be in accord with all of it I am going to have a think)....

@Ann72 Thank you for writing in a philosophical vein. You have elevated my experience here.

I would like to think further about these matters and comment in due course. I very much hope the thread will remain open to all for a long time to come and might be sign posted to new participants in the CC for reflection. I'm not sure I've read all  of the contributions as yet but here's a first thought in response:

I don't know if we are a cult (perhaps we are defended from such a morphism by our diversity) but what if someone had a good idea that they wanted to see through to its highest good?

It may not have been an original idea. It may have been a concept that had universal applications that just needed to be recorded and somebody saw to that?

Times up for me as wasn't expecting this but I hope to return..... You can probably see the vein that I'm starting to probe.... xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Thank you! Thank you!  for your brilliant and right on essay on the "culting " of Airbnb.  The word fascist has been on the tip of my tongue ever since  Chesky published his manifesto of Belonging. And events since then are disturbingly more revealing of this trend.  Hoping for a  future Airbnb corporate culture to emerge which respects property rights, the right to compensation , privacy rights and fair trade practices. You know, the good old American small business stuff  everybody knows and understands.

Susan

@Susan990  Dictatorial, yes, fascist, no. That isn't the meaning of fascist. "Belonging" and non-discriminatory are the opposite of fascism.

Oops! I referenced the wrong Brian Chesky message. Intended the one where he starts off stating ..."Hosts can be successful only when Guests expectations are exceeded" or something like that. I tried to start a conversation about his 'speech' but no takers .  It's content heralded what Ann72 is describing as the' culting'  of Airbnb.

" Dictatorial, yes ,fascist, no." Sarah977 --   F Y I - All dictators are fascistic.

Susan

@Susan990  Dictatorship is an element of fascism, but not a synonym. I suggest you look up the definition of fascism.

I haven't read that manifesto, @Susan990, and thanks for your comment, but note that my use of the word Fascist was specific to the unilateral actions they've frequently taken in shutting down people's listings with no reasons given.  I'm not against shutting down listings.  I'm against the refusal to divulge the reason why to the host-homeowners.

Interesting, though, that Brian wrote a manifesto about "Belonging," because that's the main buzzword Atkins used from the beginning of his discussion about learning from cults to strengthen brand loyalty.  One chapter of the book is called "You Belong."  It was published in 2004 and Airbnb was founded in 2008.  Hmmm...  I don't blame Brian at all for wanting to build a successful company, and I 100% support efforts toward diversity and against discrimination, but I often find the touchy-feely rhetoric cringe-making.  Especially when it's used as a kind of bludgeon against hosts who believe in honoring business agreements like cancellation policies, or who simply want a straightforward transaction with guests without a lot of bull**bleep** about "the spirit of Airbnb" and the like.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Modern management often uses some of the techniques of fanatical religious preachers.
Which is sad.
The market is not a church and consumers are not a religious sect. No matter, that sometimes they are acting like a sect.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

Am hoping to come back to this but want to urgently acknowledge that whilst asking thoughtful and inspiring questions as the Questioner Ann I am not laying any presumption on your conclusions. I really love and appreciate the question but I am not assuming that you are proposing that Airbnb is a cult!! No, in no way. That would be to simplistic. What I am perceiving is a desire for rigorous analysis. I share that desire and for someone to ask the question "Is Airbnb a cult?" is not a statement that it is. It is a question that is both guarding and protective. In both directions. If sounding obscure I offer to come back to this. So much input possible. A brilliant first draft on this Communities desire to foster Airbnb in the most positive of ways.

Its like first year in Medicine the reading list is of all the anti-medicine anti-psychiatry books out there...! This is such a question. Its profound. Thank you!

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Wow, this is a completely different view of the whole thing for me. Until now, I liked the fact that Airbnb is a community, as opposed to Booking, which is just another online service, or a platform for accommodation booking.  I liked the fact that here we - hosts and guests -  feel some sort of togetherness, we rate and appreciate each other, are respectful of other people's property and things.

But lately sometimes I've begun to feel that this "wanting to be a part of this", is sometimes abused - e.g. by  some travelers who exploit the fact that we want to remain in the "superhost community", or by Airbnb for the same thing,  and i felt almost blackmailed. 

As I am in the "optimist class", I hope the whole thing will not develop in the culting direction, as described here...