The Culting of Airbnb

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

The Culting of Airbnb

@Ute42 really got me thinking when she mentioned a book called The Culting of Brands.  The author, Douglas Atkin, was once the Global Head of Community.  His deep research into cults - which he says are communities - shows in many ways across our interactions with Airbnb.

He was inspired by talking to teenagers obsessed with Converse.  They didn't see it as merely a good brand of sneakers.  To them it was much more, and together they were a community of people who had Converse in common.

You get that sense around here, don't you?  I think of Airbnb as an excellent tool that serves the needs of my property and my business.  In fact it has allowed me to start a second business with very little effort.  They do all the marketing, advertising, and outreach; I keep the product in great shape and manage the customers.  But there are so many ways in which I feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of Moonies instead of level-headed business-minded people.

Here's an example:  the Teams feature allows you to add people, like a housekeeper.  But it doesn't allow you to screen financial information from anyone on the team.  I asked why this could not be changed, and I was told that the nightly prices are available on the platform for anyone to see. 

This feels so culty to me, in that members of a cult believe all are equal (except Dear Leader) and should have equal access to all resources and information.  It's the opposite of acknowledging that we're each running businesses and must be allowed to run them as we see fit.  Obvi we can do that, as long as we don't ask that the platform gives us normal options for running businesses.  It is a commonplace that any business that shares information can grant members of its organization different levels of access.  But not at Airbnb.  Because that would somehow prevent someone somewhere from feeling like they Belonged.

Another way Airbnb is culty - whenever I talk about money, everyone, including all the admins, runs and hides.  You can just about hear them crying out that it's all about Belonging Anywhere and A Sense of Community and Sustainability but DON'T MENTION THE MONEY.  The ludicrously low pricing suggestions are tinged with a kind of moralistic notion that higher prices mean Someone Out There might not have access to A Sense of Community and Belonging Anywhere.

Then there are the suddenly-delisted hosts.  I told an Airbnb employee that it was insane and Kafka-esque to give hosts in this situation no information whatsoever about why Airbnb had taken this action.  She swiftly answered that Airbnb was prevented from doing so by local laws.  Wait, what!?  This cannot possibly be true.  The very nature of local laws is that they vary to the widest degree possible.  No, there is a deeper, CYA legal reason for this, and companies with deep pockets get away with it because they just shrug and say Sue me.  (McDonald's, for instance, still prefers to settle lawsuits from victims of coffee burns than change the temperature of their coffee.  Cost analysis showed them they'd end up throwing out more coffee than it costs to settle the lawsuits.)  Nevertheless, these unilateral actions, no explanations given, feel culty if not actually Fascist.

Unfortunately, I have zero expectations that I can effect cultural change.  So writing this is just an exercise in venting, with the hope that some of my fellow hosts will see things the same way.  And for that palliative I bet the cult will want me to feel grateful.

1 Best Answer
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Ann72. interesting insight. These are some actual characteristics of cults:  exploitation of members for money: concerted efforts at influence and control; discouragement or even punishment of questioning, doubt or dissent;  leaders dictate how cult members should think, feel and act; and leaders are not accountable to any authorities (that's us, the cult members). Sound familiar?

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

You are spot on with this @Ann72! I have always thought that this way of thinking is why we will never see a Pet Fee. If Airbnb incorporates a pet fee it would be one more obstacle for those with Service Animals. Perhaps making the group feel that they do not belong. Currently, Airbnb can wash its hands of it, blame a discriminatory host, and go on chanting Belonging Everywhere.

Also, with deposits. Not everyone can afford to have a $500 deposit taken on a weekend-long stay. That would not be very inclusive of this underprivileged group that longs to travel (although I would probably fit into that group😀 ) Everyone. must. belong. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ann72 All one has to do is read through all the gushing comments on the Superhost thread to see a perfect example of how Airbnb has managed to convince mostly newer hosts of how thrilled and grateful they should be at being a part of the Airbnb "family".

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Ann72. interesting insight. These are some actual characteristics of cults:  exploitation of members for money: concerted efforts at influence and control; discouragement or even punishment of questioning, doubt or dissent;  leaders dictate how cult members should think, feel and act; and leaders are not accountable to any authorities (that's us, the cult members). Sound familiar?

@Kath9  It certainly does sound familiar.  😞

I find it irresponsible on Atkins' part to look to cults for inspiration on how to develop brand loyalty.  Is it easier to create a cult-like atmosphere than it is to create a great product that simply inspires loyalty to a brand?

@Ann72  It's easier in that it allows the company to institute any policies it chooses to, which work for the company, but not the users. If they aren't interested in creating what users feel is a great product, but only interested in what serves to increase profits for the company, then culting the brand would be quite a useful technique.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Ann72 I haven’t heard the term culting defined as the top tier in brand loyalty. In marketing if you can engage your consumers into the top tier of branding it is a dream come true as per Keller’s branding pyramid. 
The culture you create with your brand is not akin to culting and I’ve always found it hard to define. I’m definitely no pro at marketing, and therefore I quite like that Airbnb is. 
Interesting topic, thanks for sharing. I’m interested to read “The culting of brands” by Douglas Atkin now. I’ll have to find the post from @Ute42 as well. 

In turn I'll have to look into Keller's branding pyramid, @Katrina79.  I'm totally a brand loyalist in many, many ways, but never unquestioningly, which is what culting seems to encourage.  I'm glad to hear that the culture you create with your brand is not akin to culting.

@Ute42 mentioned the book in her response on this thread:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Nervousness-when-I-get-a-review/m-p/1440113/highlight/tr...

@Ann72  One of the problems with brand loyalty is that it can lead one to just accept that that brand is good, because they have had good experiences with it, and stop really paying attention. I guess that's what you mean by "not unquestioningly"?

There is a product I used for many years, which was the only thing that ever really worked for my dried out hands. I used to do a lot of leatherwork and the dye in the leather would cause my skin to crack and be really painful. I also am an avid gardener and have done a lot of cement work and am not good about wearing gloves--they annoy me.

Peneten cream, which is marketed for diaper rash, was a miracle. It was made in Germany, was mostly zinc ointment, but had a lot of herbal additives as well, about 12 of them. I used it for years and recommended it to others.

One day after buying a new tin, I noticed it didn't smell the same (it didn't have much of a scent normally, but smelled slightly of arnica). I then read the small print on the tin, to find that it was now made by Johnson and Johnson, only listed zinc as the active ingredient, with none of the herbal ingredients in it anymore, and smelled like Johnson's baby oil.

So there's no point in me buying it anymore, as I can just buy plain zinc ointment for much less than Peneten cream.

Yes, of course one must not be unquestioning @Sarah977.  As an American, I'm a consumer - it would be hypocritical to pretend otherwise.  That doesn't mean I don't think about what I consume.  Yet the raison d'etre of a cult is to make sure its followers never question the leadership.  But we must as you did always read the fine print.  And since I'm pretty sure they can't actually murder us with poisonous Kool-Aid for asking questions, we have to keep asking those questions.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Ann72 

My pragamatic thoughts are the follouing ones.

I think it is a trend to transform discussion fora into communities nowadays.
It is also a trend to use the term "name of the company+family".
Some big companies from silicon valley has adopt both type of practices.
Why... I do not know precisely. Maybe "community" is a more friendly word in terms of marketing.
Maybe they can get more people to answer questions in the "volunteer mode".
Maybe the word "community" is more friendly to invite hosts to socialize instead of going to a forum just to answer or asking questions about issues.

As for not giving any explanation when they ban some host, if I am not wrong it is stated in the "terms of use" that they can finish the relation between parts without any explanation, at any time.
Not only Airbnb, but some other companies from silicon valley put this clause on their terms of use.
Why? I believe It is because it can avoid lawsuits.
If the company explain why one has been banned, one may contest it in trial.
If they just say - "Based on the terms of use, we lament to say it is not interesting to us to continue our business relation" - it will avoid problems.

So the company and CMs do not go into details.

As for the "spiritual, philosophical or whatever it can be" sense of community, I have seen more then once some host saying - "I do not host for money but for pleasure".

About 3 or more years ago, I read a post of host in another Airbnb community that atracted my atention. It was a woman (homeshare host) who proudly said that - "We the hosts are part of a revolution or movement that are changing the word in terms of providing accommodation and habits".

I believe that, not the majority, but some people take the word "community" almost like a "cult" indeed. Some feel they are an activist and member of a movement.

@J-Renato0  Excellent analysis.  

I don't mind being part of a community.  I think of our lives in communities like a Venn diagram.  We each have overlapping communities in which we participate.  They tend not to demand your total and unquestioning loyalty, so they're not cults.  There's nothing wrong with communities!

As to those hosts who say they don't host for the money: if the money is of zero significance, do it for free or give it all away.  Otherwise, it's not a sin to take pleasure in the fact that your hard work, good planning, and excellent people skills have brought in some income to cover your costs or make some home improvements.

@Ann72  I don't know that I've ever read or heard a host say they don't host for the money. I don't host exclusively for the money. There are more components to it for me. I enjoy preparing the space for a guest, and I enjoy meeting cool people from all over the world. I certainly wouldn't do it for free- I appreciate the extra income. 

But neither would I continue to do it only for the money if I started getting bad guests or having other hosting hassles.

@Sarah977  I can't believe you've never read or seen that.  I've seen it or heard it literally dozens of times.  No one said anything about exclusivity and by talking about it in that way we were not ignoring the fact that virtually every good host does it for a variety of reasons.  I know we live in a very literal age when everything needs to be spelled out, though, so good on you for taking on that task.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Eeeeek that's scary @J-Renato0 !! Re Habits.... mind you I could certainly improve in that department...!