The end of Airbnb as we know it?

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

The end of Airbnb as we know it?

Here's an interesting article i just came across: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/airbnb-coronavirus-losses

It states that 60% (!!!) of Airbnb hosts have MORE than TWO OTHER listings and argues that Airbnb has become nothing more than a hotel chain. Sadly, I have to agree. As many hosts in this forum know, I have long lamented the transition from the original spirit of Airbnb (staying with locals in their homes) to the rise of the professional host with multiple listings. I take issue with many aspects of this, primarily the housing shortage it has created worldwide, and have long been dismayed at Airbnb's unwillingness to regulate this. The hosts who are now in deep trouble and calling for legal action are mainly those who have multiple listings and have made Airbnb their primary source of income.

If Airbnb manages to survive this crisis, it is my sincere hope that it goes back to its core values and becomes a true home-sharing platform once again. 

95 Replies 95
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Alon1 Yep! As a Brit, I've been getting lodgers via the Spare Room site for 5 years plus! (2 years before I'd heard of Airbnb!) - And I've never paid Spare Room a penny! And neither have my lodgers! (Never needed the upgraded earlier access for which you pay - modestly!)

- Tho' in the last year my SR supply has dried up & lodgers have been ex-Airbnbers - who morphed into lodgers!

@Sheila22  

Thank You for posting the skift link. Everyone out there watch it, it's interesting.

At one point in the video Brian Chesky says:

• In times of this crisis, i would have made one decision differently,
    i would have consulted hosts more before extending the
    extenuating circumstances policy, that was a big learning

Whatev.  Your point?

I sincerely wish ALL hosts the best of luck moving forward!  Blessings to you all.

@Sheila22  I definitely don't want a long-term roommate- the entire reason I started listing my guest room on Airbnb was because I don't want a roommate and want to be able to block off dates if family or friends come to visit. So depending on what the future brings post-COVID, I would either find other ways to advertise or the room would revert to being vacant the majority of the time, as it was before. 

One thing I like about listing on Airbnb, though, is that it brought me travelers from all over, which has been lovely and lively and educational- in the course of 3 years, I've had guests from the US, Canada, various areas of Mexico, Brazil, Czech Republic, France, Japan, Greece, Germany and New Zealand. That sort of diversity is a part of home-sharing that's an important part of the experience of hosting for many of us who have a fair amount of interaction with our guests.

Get it! I Said it! Talk to Chesky about that, not me, don't shoot the messenger...Chesky has other ideas and you aint part of them...watch the softball skift interview that I posted (did you even?)...good luck to you...he's not a god,  just an art student (or weight-lifter??  according to WiRED trashy article -- whatever to that) ...but self-admittedly, he stumbled onto something good...keep defending him if you want (as a mom, I almost want to defend him because he's just such a little boy)...but not my bag...HE FULL- WITTINGLY screwed Hosts massively - - who can deny that!!? -- AND CONTINUES TO DO IT!..bye bye  bye aint no lie  (p.s. on the art student thing...no offense, I'm an art student too.!) 

@Sheila22  I watched the Skift interview months ago, and commented on it, unfavorably, at the time. I have never defended Chesky, or the way the company operates, quite the contrary.  You must be mistaking me for someone else.

@Sarah977   I wish you all the best with your endeavors!  Blessings during these tough times! I hope it all works out well for you!

Sheila22
Level 10
New York, NY

I hope everyone survives the shenanigans!  God bless!  I wish you all the best!! I feel horribly for everyone right now.  I can't promise we can combat giant egos...I we don't have that kind of hubris, but if anyone wishes to join the conversation, we have some ideas floating about that we are sharing:
*private link removed*

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

For you 'older' folks and presumably wise by virtue of the sheer pounding of years of experience (good & bad), have you also come to the conclusion (like me, for example)  that the 'world is what it is' and you no longer are interested in 'fighting windmills'? Meaning that now you only work with reality, and stay away from those things beyond your control? Just a theoretical question. 

/off to the island, I got windows to put up.

Perfectly said @Fred13, I pray the serenity prayer often if not daily, Im not recovering,  just highly experienced in many things good and some not so good.  What I know for sure is my wick burns shorter everyday and I cannot light the world for all (as much as I would like to)  I do however like @Sarah977  try to be a shining example of a citizen whenever possible by my personal actions.  

If I run out of things I can actually fix, then I will focus more on those things I can't expect to in 4 lifetimes but I don't imagine I will finish my Honey-do list anytime soon (Melodie, my daughters and grand kids add to it often just to keep me motivated).     The question isnt if I will do today, its what I will do today, after a bit more Joe, Its probably clean up my pigpen of a shop, Stay well all, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 You have achieved much wisdom. 

Thank you @Fred13 , I was very lucky to have such great mentors over the decades and blessed to figure out they had the keys and combination to the kingdom I was seeking not the riff raff that was trying to distract me with shiny things.  Passing it on and paying it forward are the only things we can do to pay those back that have already moved on from this place, Be well, JR

@Fred13 I wouldn't consider myself old (god I hope not, yet! lol) but I 100% agree with that philosophy. You can't control what happens to you, but you have complete control over how you react to it.

Some things just aren't worth battling. I'd rather have my peace of mind and deal with what comes along, than to get all riled up about something I probably have a slim chance of changing or affecting. Once I made that decision, life suddenly became so much calmer.

@Suzanne302 Your icon really says it all; outdoors, a best friend at your side and a smile on your face.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Fred13  Yes. More or less. I get accused of being "negative" by people sometimes, because I see things pragmatically, rather than all balloons and rainbows. However, there are some things in this world that need to drastically change for the good of all, and if we just give up and say "that's how it is" and don't even attempt to work for positive change, then things just remain the same. I no longer have the energy to go out and protest injustice, or environmental destruction, but I try to lead my own life in a way that doesn't contribute to the world's problems and gently educate those who are clueless. And I admire the young people who do have the idealism and energy to get out there and try to make a difference.