The missing Key Icon has been removed from my Airbnb hosting platform.

Donna456
Level 1
Warrnambool, Australia

The missing Key Icon has been removed from my Airbnb hosting platform.

The missing Key Icon has been removed from my Airbnb hosting platform.  Airbnb help have advised that they will be sending the check-in instructions directly to the guests 3 days before their arrival.  I'm interested in other host's thoughts on this.

8 Replies 8
Toby40
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

This is frustrating. Lots of guests don't pay attention to the info sent from Airbnb. Being able to send it from the app on the day of check has been a big help.

Leanne99
Level 10
Adelaide, Australia

Hi @Donna456 

I still have the key symbol on my phone app - haven’t looked elsewhere.

Pressing it in messages pastes a copy of the link to my check in guide into the message.

It would be nice to know what AirBnB sends guests in terms of information about check in etc. I  just do my own thing and have a detailed message I manually send out. It may be a bit of a double up but that’s better than too little information.

Best wishes,

Leanne

Tina183
Level 5
Bothell, WA

I am disappointed about the key being removed, I used to send it to every guest the day or so before check in so they had it.  I did find that the URLs (as seen in other messages) do still take you to the page.  So, I went ahead and wrote a saved message for each listing with that link in it so I can still send it out.

Good ideas

thank you for your suggestions

as a lot of guest don’t know how to get to the check in instruction on their reservation page, the link is very helpful for them.  Also some of the

guests will call last minute for the

door code, and the link comes handy ... Don’t know why Airbnb removes it !

Johanna360
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

This is the 2nd time in the last 3 months that the Airbnb message app has removed the "key" symbol. I am an extremely busy person and taking away a feature that works very well is either another glitch and hopefully the programmers are working to fix or Airbnb made a decision to downgrade services to hosts. When I have "time" I will be contacting Airbnb again to find out what happened. I will let provide an update on the forums.

Happy Hosting!

Connie-Jo-and-Leslie0
Level 7
Jacksonville, FL

I want the key icon back! I have reported this to air as a bug and as feedback. Please do the same. I have 3 different listings on one property and each requires a specific set of instructions. And sometimes I need to alter this to accommodate a guest. 
I send the link about 3-7 days prior to arrival and then again on the day of. It is incredibly smooth using the key icon. Now I have each listing link pasted to Notes app on my phone and must open both apps, copy and paste and hope I get the right link to the right listing/guest. It’s too clunky. Especially when it’s busy. 
I really hope everyone will report this and I hope Airbnb puts the key back or something better. Guests DO NOT deep read the listing and are not attached and familiar with the app like hosts are. Popping a link into a short message is perfect for today’s travelers. Boom. Done. No worries or phone calls. 

I definitely rely in this specific function. I too have 4 listings at one property. Without being able to add the link to the check in instrctions, it is VERY difficult not to mention possibly unsafe. 

Johanna360
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

UPDATE:  KEY symbol is officially gone and NOT coming back. Per my Jan 22nd at 5:30pm live chat with Airbnb Customer Support Team "I am afraid, this feature will no longer be available. This is for all of our hosts."

It has been a great 5+ years as a Super Host but I am no longer able to sing the praises of Airbnb as I once did.  I have strived to be the best representative of Airbnb and be a positive example of how well Airbnb takes care of its hosts and guests. Unfortunately, more and more guests are disappointed with bookings that turn out to be motels. While I continue to offer a great service, my guests are not so lucky with other stays that lack transparency.  I am not opposed to change.  Unfortunately the changes are negatively affecting guests and hosts.  I have loved being an Airbnb host and am forever grateful for the wonderful guests I've had the privilege of meeting. The sad part is Airbnb doesn't realize that these business decisions affect their #1 asset, YOU and ME!  Without great hosts, what will become of Airbnb? Guess its time for me to consider different hosting platform services. If you have any suggestions, I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Johanna