The wonders of modern technology

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

The wonders of modern technology

Here I am staring 80 in the eye! When I was born there was no such thing as computers.....in fact there was no such thing as television!

World War 2 was still in full swing!

I have been asked by a German publisher to submit an article about Airbnb, it's perceptions and the way it differs in various countries around the world, so as we have stayed in a few, I am relating my experiences in the Airbnb's we have stayed in over the past decade.

One of our stays was in New York, and as part of fitting into the NY scene I wanted to illustrate how difficult it was for me to actually push  a wheelchair around the city with its masses of pedestrian traffic.

I am including photos, and I wanted an iconic NY backdrop with Ade in her wheelchair, so I chose the Radio City Music Hall in Rockefeller Centre on 6th Av. which most people familiar with NY will recognise.

My problem was, the sheer volume of traffic meant I was never quite able to get that photo that I wanted without a truck or something blocking the backdrop view that I wanted, as per these photos. The interloper there in the blue top is our friend Sue who was travelling with us.......

DSCN1540.JPG

DSCN1541.JPG

If it wasn't vehicles it was pedestrians......1000's of them! Having no idea that I would ultimately require that uncluttered shot I gave up trying to get it after 4 photos.

So what I did,  and this is what brings me to our marvelous modern technology! I took the 2 above photos and with the aid of photo-shop I have stitched them into the photo that I needed.....

DSCN1540 aa.jpg

You have to stop somewhere so, the only remaining evidence is the shadow of the passing truck on the pavement.

A good bit of work went into that, I hope the publishers put it to good effect.

Cheers..........Rob

4 Replies 4
Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

Groovy as a movie.

Happy Easter to you and Ade; we're expecting a bit of rain in Clare, and the grape harvest is taking forever. Someone who cares about me just gave me a bottle of 1991 Wendouree Shiraz Malbec. You should visit!

Cheers, Charles

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Charles224 

Hi ya Charles, I am just soooooo jealous! Oh you bring back memories, I used to have a bit to do with Roly Birks back in the late 60s, and Tony and Lita when they took over Wendouree in 1974. My sister Tina and her husband John were Wendouree's neighbours

Through Neil Grant-Williams I became friends with Tim Knappstein back in the Stanley days. Tim once gave me a bottle of Tawny port that won first prize in the 1925 Royal Adelaide Show! This stuff was priceless Charles, there was less than half a hogshead of it left when he gave me that bottle back in about 1968, not long after he came out of Roseworthy.

I treasured that bottle of Port Charles, this was before I married and I had it a cupboard in my bedroom at my parents place. 

One night my father ran out of booze, went down to my room and discovered this bottle of port! He knocked it off in one session like it was a cheap bottle of Yalumba 4 crown!

Broke my heart that did.....and probably Tim's too!

I have still managed to hang onto 4 of these Charles........

CAM02432.jpg

Hope all is going well for you up there in Clare mate!

Cheers.........Rob

Eileen0
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 Happy big birthday!  Hope you have a great time away.  Do post a link to the article when published.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Robin4 ,

Some great photoshop skills used😆 Just like @Eileen0 , even I am curious to see your article! Do share it with us when it is published🎉.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines