Three weeks have passed since m home was robbed and Vandalized, Airbnb claims department has not responded.

Marie6360
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Three weeks have passed since m home was robbed and Vandalized, Airbnb claims department has not responded.

I have hosted over 600 guests. My rating is 4.96. Three weeks ago my home was robbed and vandalized by Airbnb 'guests'. The 'Guest' threatened that if I did not drop the case 'Bad things will happen to me'

The claims department has not responded. I have a $500 damage deposit and I have not even seen that reimbursed. The 'guest' who did this has an active profile up that says he is also a host although there is no link to any properties. The police have an open investigation yet Airbnb does nothing. CBC News has been contacted and has responded with interest asking for more information and confirming I will participate in an on-camera interview.  The story of this will come out and Airbnb will be held accountable. 

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

First of all, both of your listings are lovely and beautifully furnished!  Your reviews are super positive.  With all this activity have you been lucky enough to avoid guest damage and theft thus far?  If so, it appears that Air BNB claims process requires lots of patience and lots of proof.  

How threatened do you feel, that is, is the guest local?  Or, do you think the guest was blowing smoke?  If you feel threatened and have the message on the system, all the Air BNB can do is remove the profile and block ability to book.  Also, I think Canada, like the US, threats can be prosecuted, especially if you have it in a message.

If you think you have no further recourse, such as your own insurance, there are many postings that suggest going public gest results.  Of course, I wonder if this tactic can have backlash with cities using this type of situation as a reason to not allow short term rentals at all.  I think smaller cities have a somewhat knee jerk reaction unfortunately.  Keep us posted and good luck!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Marie6360  Did you get any response at all from Airbnb?  Usually a police report will spur them into some kind of action.  You can also tag the administrators for this forum, they sometimes will intervene which helps, it seems, get people's issues addressed a little faster.  How awful for you, especially with such beautiful listings, that are clearly full of expensive items.