Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Tired of being held hostage by guests and their reviews

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Tired of being held hostage by guests and their reviews

I try my best to go above and beyond for my Airbnb guests. I live in my unit (upstairs). I allow dogs and children for my 2-bedroom full apartment with washer and dryer. All I get is grief from 60% of my Airbnb guests. 

I know we as hosts have all talked about reviews many, many times; however, I'm entirely BURNT OUT about the review system.

My place was never meant to be a 5-star place. It's an economical jump-off near the only airport in Alaska and a place to stay for Alaskans that have medical appointments (we are located near all major hospitals).

Many guest are under the impression that 4-star reviews are good (80%). No, a 4-star review is not good.

I now have a "warning" on my app, "review basic requirements-your listing could be at risk". I have called CS NUMEROUS TIMES, and no one can determine why.

I know exactly why I have this notice-because I have had (4) 4-star ratings in the last year. I have NO control over these 4-star ratings. Most guest erroneously believe 4-stars is 80%. The one thing in common with the 4 guests that left 4-star reviews, is that I allowed them to have their dog in the unit.

I have also found that Airbnb guests are the ones that have learned to play the system against hosts in order to stay for free. With other sites, I don't have those issues.

So over it.

31 Replies 31

I find this quite curious Helen, esp when it's renowned that Brits are the biggest whingers of all. 🤣 (Brits, not English, not sure why you wrote "england") And Aussies (why are you spelling it Ossies?) are well-travelled, esp considering our remoteness, both on the globe but also the sheer size of our own vast land. I actually think Americans are a little more demanding, but so far the few we've had have been lovely. 

I live off "locals", although my locals are from Adelaide and the Adl Hills is technically a different region, even if it's just 40mins away.  I'm compiling my own database of info on guests, something I wish ABB would do for us!, and so far i don't have any real proof that one nationality, one age group, locals or no, etc are better or worse. There are selfish asshats spread out evenly across all groups it seems. 

+1 to your suggest of a 10* system, the 5* thing is just too confusing. 

@Gillian166  Hi Gillian England as opposed to Ireland or Scotland or Wales which are generally considered to be Britain   I could also call it the Temporary Euro zone if I choose . When  I say Ossies then I own the vernacular as an Australian born and bred with 56 per cent Irish dna I also understand that the Irish do not in most cases consider them selves to be British and as I learn more I understand why I say England not Britain . Its a good idea to 'claim back 'the language as both the LBGTQ community has done and other communities.  H We are all free to think as we wish,talk as we wish . My observation was on the types of guests that i was recieving and answering Maias  indication that'locals were the worst'. At the time I could clearly see in my 'neck of the woods'  that this was in fact possibly with two observations could be 'a thing ' or not ? just an observation