Tony in London - Host running scam of guests

Tom3318
Level 2
Stourbridge, United Kingdom

Tony in London - Host running scam of guests

I made a booking by mistake as the information was fairly misleading on the advert, and I booked a private room in an apartment rather than a private apartment. Tony the host contacted me to make sure that this is what I wanted, which seemed odd although I thought nothing of it at the time. I explained I had made in error but was happy to keep booking, but host offered a full refund if I cancelled. Only thing is this was offered over the phone and not in messages. I had no reason to suspect he was not being genuine, so I cancelled and he said he would sort out his end for a refund to be processed. 

this is when all contact stopped with Tony, so I contacted support, who contacted Tony for me who told the rep that this had never happened. 

I realise it’s my responsibility to check these things before booking, but surely this falls under a scam as I cancelled the booking on the basis that he said he would refund, I would have kept it if not. I realise I have no proof but just wanted to see what the thoughts were of other people using this app. 

28 Replies 28
Karla533
Level 10
Santa Fe, NM

I have a policy that if a guest contacts me via my telephone, I let it go to voicemail.

I then copy the transcribed VM (or text message) and reply through the AirBnB inbox.

I do not communicate with guests using my phone. (I would in an emergency of course.)

Tom3318
Level 2

Yeah best way to do it. He’s the host, I’m the guest in this situation and he called me.

Karla533
Level 10
Santa Fe, NM

What I would do now in your situation is just to keep writing to Tony, politely of course, asking for a specific sum. Keep doing it until he blocks you.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Tom3318 Sorry you got taken by this host. Not a scam, just an unfortunate set of circumstances in which you played a part. Offering the full refund and then not following through was wrong. But even if they had made that promise on platform, they had every right to change their mind, and Airbnb may not have forced them to follow through. There is little you can do now.

Always read the listing details, rules, etc carefully and ask questions if needed, to clarify,  before booking. Most bookings have a penalty free cancellation period of 48 hrs post booking, or you might at least get 50% back upon cancellation. Was this a short notice booking? Did you at least get part refund?

Tom3318
Level 2

We’ve all been there 😂. No refund at all. This one did not offer the 48 hours post booking. It was all done very cleverly by Tony, I would guess he’s caught people out by this before. 

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Tom3318,

You didn't fully answer @Colleen253's question?  Did you make this reservation on short notice, within 48 hours of scheduled arrival?  If so, then you wouldn't have a free cancellation period unless the listing had a Flexible cancellation policy which allows cancellations with full refunds (less Airbnb's service fee) up to 24 hours before check-in.  The cancellation policy is displayed on the listing page at the bottom, and referenced in your reservation itinerary.  It is systematically applied, so the host doesn't have the choice of not honoring a free cancellation period if it's applicable.  It is very likely that the host has received his share of bookings where guests assumed they were getting the entire apartment, and that is the reason why he contacted you.  

Would you please share the link to the listing so we can see what's written in the listing description?

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Tom3318
Level 2

Ah I understand, no I didn’t, it’s 6 weeks away. 

https://abnb.me/YDCSmsecTnb

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

all bookings offer 48 hour penalty free cancellations IF booked more than two weeks in advance

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3 

I know that initially, the 48 hour grace period only applied to the Strict cancellation policy. Did this change? It's actually not that easy to find the answer on Airbnb's site!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

48 hour cancellation free policy applies to all  firm and strict cancellation policies I believe.  Obviously flexible and moderate cancellations don't need it. Not quite sure why @Tom3318 didn't use it as he booked 6 weeks out he said.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3 

Actually, just found it: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/choose-the-right-cancellation-policy-for-you-19

The 48 hour grace period applies to Firm and Strict, but I'm guessing if it was one of the other policies, @Tom3318 was entitled to a full refund anyway given that it was six weeks out. Unless he booked a long term stay?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hi @Tom3318   I see you are an experienced and valued guest on Air BNB and an experience host, so I would imagine you are fairly savvy about the platform.  The 48 hour no penalty cancellation relates to Air BNB fees being refunded and the listing cancellation policy still applies.  So you booked last minute, made an error and would not have known that until you arrived had the host not contacted you.  So, the host calls and offers full refund and then you do not get that.  You should have gotten your Air BNB fees returned and cleaning fee at the very least, but you post you got nothing.  Perhaps you could further explore with the host first, given your telephone conversation, then follow up with CS regarding the 48 hour no penalty if you were within the 48 hours.  Worth a try.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tom3318  If you need to cancel  a booking, you just do so. You don't carry on a phone conversation with the host about it and simply believe that they will refund you because that is what they said. 

There are procedures and policies to follow and when you don't, things go awry.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Tom3318 I think you should book again. This host clearly does not want anyone actually staying there. See what they end up doing.