Tune in for a message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky at 3 p.m. PT March 30.

Airbnb
Official Account

Tune in for a message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky at 3 p.m. PT March 30.

The coronavirus (COVID-19) has posed unprecedented challenges for the world, including our community of hosts and guests. This is a once-in-a-generation crisis, and we know hosts like you are feeling the biggest impact—so many of you rely on income from your Airbnb properties, and you’re facing a lot of uncertainty right now. 

Over the past three weeks, we’ve hosted more than 50 online listening sessions with hosts from around the world to connect and hear your feedback. As a follow-up, CEO Brian Chesky will be talking to you from his home in San Francisco. He’ll be answering some of the questions you’ve asked about our extenuating circumstances policy, how to host during COVID-19, and more.

Bookmark this page to watch his talk live at 3:00 p.m PT Monday, March 30. Can’t make it at that time? We’ll share a recording with you after the event. 

For more answers to your questions about hosting during this challenging time, please visit Airbnb.com/COVID—we’ll keep updating it with trends, tips, and information on everything we're doing to support our community.

Thank you once again for being a host. We hope you and your loved ones are staying safe and healthy.

171 Replies 171
Ben172
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

This superhost grant stuff is totally arbitrary and doesn't make any sense. I have a primary and secondary property that would qualify me, but because the secondary property is a duplex and I rent out both sides, it would put me over the 2 listing maximum threshold. It hardly seems fair that I would be excluded on that kind of technicality. These policies need a lot more clarification 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ben172 

I have three private rooms in my own house, therefore three separate listings. So that would mean I wouldn't qualify even though I am just a small, traditional live in host?

Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

This is a JOKE.

Michael3494
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

How can you say that. Airbnb don't have to do anything other companies are doing nothing to help.  

Paul60
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

QUESTION- for cancellations that already occurred in this period and where we received or are due to receive 50% payout. Are these to be reduced to 12.5%?

Airbnb are Snakes.

@Paul60 

From Business Insider.. 

"When a guest cancels a reservation due to a COVID-19 related circumstance, with a check-in between March 14 and May 31, we will pay you 25% of what you would normally receive through your cancellation policy. This applies retroactively to all COVID-19 related cancellations during this period," CEO Brian Chesky wrote in a letter sent to hosts Monday. 

@Paul60 

Full details here.. 

Brian Chesky's Letter To Hosts 30/3/2020

https://news.airbnb.com/a-letter-to-hosts/

And what about hosts who have not had any cancellations and who have been super hosts but are not at this time who absolutely need assistance? 

Thank you Susan however this policy dated 30th March refers to 'When a guest cancels a reservation' .  What if the guest had already cancelled.  The policy at the time of the cancelation should still apply surely?  So if a guest cancelled last week for 01st May for instance then the cancelation policy at the time one would think should apply.

Airbnb are seeking to retrospectively impose a policy on cancelations that hadnt even been written at the time of the guest cancelation.

Airbnb are Snakes.
Michael3494
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

You receive 25% of your cancelation policy so if your booking was £1,000 you would receive normally £500 you will receive £125.00 pounds not a lot but better than nothing

Carol5536
Level 2
Leven, GB

I'm in Scotland so got my email this morning.  I burst into tears (not an uncommon occurrence in the past 2 weeks).  My holiday let is my baby . . .  As Brian said in his video - the thing I love most about hosting is meeting people and encouraging them to love my beautiful part of the world as much as I do.  It is about 10 miles from where I live and I know I should go an check on it, but can't bear to go when I know it will not see any life for weeks or possible months.  It is also my only form of income - so I'm heartbroken and facing bankruptcy.

As I have by some miracle managed to find myself not entitled to any of the British government's financial aid, Brian's offer of cash (however small it actually turns out to be) is a sign of someone investing in the future of his business (us) so that when things improve we are all still here.  I know it's not entirely altruistic - more of a business decision, but if it helps me stay afloat I'm happy with that.  If only my other booking agents had the foresight!

Barbara-and-Mike0
Level 4
United Kingdom

@Airbnb  @Stephanie @Lizzie 

I am trying to cancel bookings within (and outside) the Airbnb Extenuating Circumstances date range to give guests a full refund. I have tried both the Airbnb App and desktop version, but all I get is the usual Airbnb threatening messages around penalties for cancellations. Is anyone able to tell me how to cancel bookings and flag these as Covid-19? I am clearly missing how to do this? I have guests telling me that they have repeatedly requested cancellations, but these are not coming through to me, so guests are staying to think I am deliberately holding on to their money. Any help is much appreciated!

We also want to know the answer to this. Maybe Airbnb haven't put the Co-Vid 19 cancellation option in place yet for those affected bookings? I've been searching, and it says it's ok to cancel within the specified dates, but outside those dates hosts will be charged by Airbnb, which seems ludicrous when we cannot host due to Government rules. They seem more concerned with guests rights than hosts who have to cancel! I was about to start contacting guests this morning - I can't believe they expect to travel at this time, but maybe they've been trying to contact us too? I have only been contacted by guests who quite rightly cancelled at the start of this situation. Hope you get a quick response and sorry I'm no help, but glad to see it's not just us who want to cancel with no charge to guests. Stay safe x

@Andy-and-Trudi0 

I think perhaps the changes are not live on the system yet? In the related help article, it said hosts will find more detail on their dashboards, but there is nothing there other than the usual notifications, reservations etc.

I never received the letter from Brian, nor received the previous one. Maybe only US hosts are receiving these? I only know about the changes because I've been keeping an eye on things, but I imagine many hosts are completely in the dark and won't realise until the refunds are made!

@Huma0  @Andy-and-Trudi0 

Brian Chesky's Letter To Hosts

https://news.airbnb.com/a-letter-to-hosts/

The Superhost Relief Fund

https://www.airbnb.ie/superhostrelief

$250M Support To Hosts Impacted By Cancellations - Resource Centre

https://www.airbnb.ie/resources/hosting-homes/a/250m-to-support-hosts-impacted-by-cancellations-165