Tune in for a message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky at 3 p.m. PT March 30.

Airbnb
Official Account

Tune in for a message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky at 3 p.m. PT March 30.

The coronavirus (COVID-19) has posed unprecedented challenges for the world, including our community of hosts and guests. This is a once-in-a-generation crisis, and we know hosts like you are feeling the biggest impact—so many of you rely on income from your Airbnb properties, and you’re facing a lot of uncertainty right now. 

Over the past three weeks, we’ve hosted more than 50 online listening sessions with hosts from around the world to connect and hear your feedback. As a follow-up, CEO Brian Chesky will be talking to you from his home in San Francisco. He’ll be answering some of the questions you’ve asked about our extenuating circumstances policy, how to host during COVID-19, and more.

Bookmark this page to watch his talk live at 3:00 p.m PT Monday, March 30. Can’t make it at that time? We’ll share a recording with you after the event. 

For more answers to your questions about hosting during this challenging time, please visit Airbnb.com/COVID—we’ll keep updating it with trends, tips, and information on everything we're doing to support our community.

Thank you once again for being a host. We hope you and your loved ones are staying safe and healthy.

171 Replies 171
Benjamin710
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

I'm impressed. $250m reimbursements; $10m superhost fund. Way more than a corps would offer. He still has it in his heart. Du courage, Brian!

Hildy0
Level 2
East Hampton, NY

Why are only Super Hosts and Experience Hosts receiving relief?  I have been a Super Host on and off since 2013.  Are we not considered partners?  I appreciate all you are doing, but this seems unfair.  

Not only. Superhosts have $10 million extra. The biggest chunk, the $250 million fund is for all to share.

Thanks, Boris145,  Hope you're right.  My entire livelihood is at stake, as I'm sure it is for many others......

Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

I just listened to Brian's message about Airbnb's response to COVID 19. Thank you Airbnb for listening and reaching out to us hosts.  The absence of guests for me is threefold (income and connection) and loss of my role as a host. Your words reminded me of the sincerity of Airbnb values at the first gathering in San Francisco 2014(?). Todays message revived your commitment in us hosts. Thank you

Northon0
Level 3
Portland, OR

Brian, we are very proud to be part of the Airbnb community and we were deeply touched by your message. We have always felt we were partners and we also understand that there are times when a decision needs to be made in a timely manner - We believe your decision about invoking the extenuating circumstances was the right decision.

Please THANK ALL Airbnb employees for their sacrifice and donations = truly highlights how we care for one another.

Best regards,

Northon+Doris

Cat4771
Level 1
Littleton, CO

What about hosts that have had their calendars blocked, by Airbnb, preventing bookings??  We have two places in Summit County Colorado and our calendars were blocked several weeks ago with a note saying "unavailable for requests" that have prevented us from taking 30+ day bookings. We have lost a lot of $$ because of this, as the area has lots of people looking for places as they shelter in place. 

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

I was heartened to hear of the new offer from Airbnb to partially reimburse hosts for Covid-19 cancellations. According to the host’s ‘regular cancellation policy’. So ... those who have followed Airbnb’s recommendation of having a moderate or flexible policy, will likely receive nothing. Those who, contrary to recommendations, have stuck with a strict policy, will be recompensed. Do I have it right?

pretty much. for strict it's really only 12.5% because you get 50% back normally. chump change

I think it's 25% for all cancellations due to COVID. I hope. Otherwise, it is a total scam. Regardless of our cancellation policy setting, most of the cancellations would not have occurred if it wasn't for the COVID. 

@Boris145

Airbnb will pay the host 25% of what they would normally receive through their cancellation policy.”

Dear Airbnb & Brian,

I have just listened to Brian’s message in full and have to applaud you on your initiatives and the support you are making available to everyone. It is extremely encouraging and inspirational in these dark times. In spite of what is happening and the hardships many are facing the most positive outcome is how the majority of humanity are responding and reaching out to help others who are suffering most.

You and your team are truly inspirational….well done!!

Warm regards,

Mark

Luke279
Level 6
Bristol, United Kingdom

Be interesting how they will calculate this as cancelled bookings don't show up on the calendar, so how does one find the total amount to work out the 25% figure...

Nicola1871
Level 2
Massachusetts, US

THANK YOU to the employees who donated to the Host Grant fund!!! My house is booked all summer and rather than cancel preemptively, my guests are hanging on for good news. They want to travel as much as I want to host them - but if people really can't make their trips then I appreciate whatever help the company can offer to off-set the loss of income, which would be significant. We are all in this together so let's try to stay positive and support each other rather than tear the company down ❤️

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

11:00 pm IST  March 30, 2020

Airbnb  is committing $250 million to put toward hosts who have been impacted by COVID-19. That means if a guest cancels a reservation for check-in between March 14 and May 31 due to a COVID-19 related reason, Airbnb will pay the host 25% of what they would normally receive through their cancellation policy. Airbnb says this policy will apply retroactively to all cancellations during that period.

This is Airbnb’s way of making amends to its hosts — who may have felt blindsided by Airbnb’s policy that would enable guests to cancel reservations and receive a full refund. That policy, which is still active, lets guests who booked reservations on or before March 14 that begin anytime on or before May 31 to cancel and receive a standard refund or travel credit.

“We determined that we had to allow your guests to cancel and receive a full refund—including all our fees,” Chesky wrote in a letter to hosts today. “Please know this decision was not a business decision, but based on protecting public health. However, while I believe we did the right thing in prioritizing health and safety, I’m sorry that we communicated this decision to guests without consulting you—like partners should. We have heard from you and we know we could have been better partners.”

Beyond that, Airbnb is creating a $10 million fund for its superhosts and experience hosts. Employees contributed the first $1 million and Airbnb co-founders Joe Gebbia, Brian Chesky and Nate Blecharczyk are personally providing the other $9 million. Beginning in April, hosts can apply for grants up to $5,000. And for guests who want to show hosts their support during this time, they will soon be able to make payments directly to hosts.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/30/airbnb-commits-250-million-to-helping-hosts-cover-cancellations-du...