Tune in for a message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky at 3 p.m. PT March 30.

Airbnb
Official Account

Tune in for a message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky at 3 p.m. PT March 30.

The coronavirus (COVID-19) has posed unprecedented challenges for the world, including our community of hosts and guests. This is a once-in-a-generation crisis, and we know hosts like you are feeling the biggest impact—so many of you rely on income from your Airbnb properties, and you’re facing a lot of uncertainty right now. 

Over the past three weeks, we’ve hosted more than 50 online listening sessions with hosts from around the world to connect and hear your feedback. As a follow-up, CEO Brian Chesky will be talking to you from his home in San Francisco. He’ll be answering some of the questions you’ve asked about our extenuating circumstances policy, how to host during COVID-19, and more.

Bookmark this page to watch his talk live at 3:00 p.m PT Monday, March 30. Can’t make it at that time? We’ll share a recording with you after the event. 

For more answers to your questions about hosting during this challenging time, please visit Airbnb.com/COVID—we’ll keep updating it with trends, tips, and information on everything we're doing to support our community.

Thank you once again for being a host. We hope you and your loved ones are staying safe and healthy.

171 Replies 171

@Juan63 

25% of your cancellation policy if it is Covid-19 cancellation.

I don't think that's the case. I think it's 25% paid to hosts for cancellations due to COVID. Not 25% of "our" cancellation policy. 

@Boris145 

We'll have to scrutinise an action replay. There was mention of hosts cancellation policy.

@Boris145 

From our $250 million USD Host Relief Fund, Airbnb will pay 25% of what you would’ve received for a cancellation based on your cancellation policy. For example, if you would normally receive $400 USD through your cancellation policy, we'll pay you 25% of that—or $100 USD.

Details here:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/250m-to-support-hosts-impacted-by-cancellations-1...

@Boris145 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  No need for replay. New post up re details!

So sad

Thanks Brian. A good message and beginning for the months and years ahead.

Dan12364
Level 2
North Vancouver, CA

I didn’t hear a thing.  

Can someone please re-cap? I made it in late unfortunately. Was there mention about host-requested cancellations? As a host who does all my own cleaning, along with my health history of 3 previous heart surgeries, I felt it best to cancel. We had back-to-back guests who were coming from all over and some who had traveled out of the country recently. Tough choice for sure as this is our primary income! 😞

Hi we’re in UK so only saw the synopsis email this morning. We have the same issues as yourself with guests booked in who we want to cancel as they stay in our home. I have asthma and have to be particularly careful. Can I ask, when you cancelled your guests we’re you charged by Airbnb? That is what I believe will happen if hosts cancel, which is why we’ve been waiting for this announcement, but It didn’t address that. Have no idea why, as with lockdowns, social distancing and only essential travel allowed nobody should be travelling for pleasure at the moment anyway! Stay safe. x

Joyous1
Level 2
New York, NY

Thanks Brian for speaking with us “hosts” today.

You are RIGHT - we are the backbone of AirBnB business.

So, we appreciate your words AND we DEFINITELY NEED ACTION TAKEN SO THAT WE ALL SHARE THE BURDEN OF THESE LOSSES- not just hosts!

I especially like the suggestions made by one of our community members here. Please listen and respond ::

"As a token of our appreciation we are offering all our hosts a $200 payout for every one of their reservations that has been cancelled due to this Covid-19 pandemic"!

"To build  both host and guest confidence that we are serious about the long term 'health' of Airbnb we are lowering our guest service fees to a flat 10% for guests and  removing the host service fee for the next 12 months. By doing that we will be attracting users from other platforms thereby  guaranteeing our sustainability and survival"!

"Due to the nature of the current pandemic we here at Airbnb understand fully that as far as hosts are concerned it is vital that they have every bit of information possibly when assessing the risk of accepting a reservation during this difficult time.  We have no desire to put our hosts at risk so, from this point Airbnb will not allow a guest to book an Airbnb hosts listing unless a full travel statement can be provided  and positive identification that can be passed on to the host for assesment"!

'We understand that we are all in this together and we are prepared to put our money where our mouth is and  open our contact options to sympathetically look at and discus ways we can help our hosts"

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

I hope the majority of you were able to watch the talk live and the tech all behaved itself.

For those of you wanting a more detailed recap, we will sharing a post on this soon**, so don't worry if you missed anything. 

For those of you off to bed, sleep well. 

Thanks to you all for tuning in. 

Lizzie

**Updated: in case you missed it, here is the recap post

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Samantha690
Level 2
Western Tobago, TT

Was it recorded? I missed the meeting. Will others that missed it get an email of everything that was covered and the plans moving forward? 

ok great, I am seeing that there will be a detailed recap. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Samantha690,

Lovely to meet you. We will be sharing a recording of Brian's talk soon, but we've just shared a written recap, here if you would like to catch up on what was mentioned. 

I hope you find this useful and I'll let you know once we get the recording.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.