Uptick in scams?

Erin6307
Level 2
Cranston, RI

Uptick in scams?

Has anyone noticed an uptick in people asking for videos or to see the place ahead of time? Most of them are in Chinese and translated. They strike me as scams but my place is only available for longer term rental. I don’t know if it’s normal or scam central. 

I have over 50 photos and a layout map so they should have plenty of info 

4 Replies 4
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Erin6307 

I think everybody gets them from time to time, Yes they are Scams recently Airbnb has flagged them and sent us a warning, You can report them,

Personally I dont do business outside of the platform where I live it's usually agents trying to sublet properties,

If it's Chinese you can rest assured it's a scam as they are not allowed to travel outside of China some cities are still in lockdown after covid.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sudsrung0,

As a person who grew in the San Francisco Bay Area, where there are many persons who primarily speak a Chinese language. It would be my first assumption that the inquirer already lives in the US.  

@Erin6307,

The increased requests may be a scam or the result of having been scammed.  Either way, I don't provide viewings or videos.  Guests have to rely upon the pictures and reviews.  If they are newbies and really sound skittish about using the platform, I just refer them back to reading the Help Center and to call CS for assistance.  

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Michelle1588
Level 10
New York, NY

@Erin6307 

Hi Erin, this may have happened to me once, twice the most. I can remember one request specifically being scammish, but of course I caught on and said NO immediately.

But I remember one person was an innocent query and after pointing her back to my tons of images and letting her know the rules of the platform, that she probably hadn't read, and mentioning my own need for safety, she understood. She booked with me for four months.

So yes, use discernment I'd say. Some people really do not know and will inquire, especially for long term so that much I understand. But it is always NO, clearly 🙂

I’ve had 3 in September and 3 since Saturday. I had never had any like this before September. But thanks for the sanity check!