Value for money

Answered!
Ian611
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Value for money

Hi,

We have only been letting our flat out since mid September 2019,had various things of interest with guests but nothing we can’t handle.

Every guest who leave us  feedback give 5 stars for everything but had a couple who give 4 stars for value, if our place is too expensive why would they book us in the first place?

1 Best Answer
Ian611
Level 4

Hi, we leave snacks ,milk,breakfast cereal,tea ,coffee and sugar already.

Also a DVD player with a selection of DVD s 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

This has been a widely contested part of the rating system, unfortunately.  "Value" is so subjective - what one person might feel comfortable paying, another might find too expensive.  Like you said, they know the price when they book...so why have that at all?  I always get 5 stars across the board, and the only times I've had 3 and 4 stars is because of the "Value" option.  It is what it is...I think it's AirBNB's way of undermining hosts, and driving down prices in an effort to please guests.  Once you have enough positive reviews, those won't matter as much anyway.  Thankfully the guests can still give you a 5 star overall rating, even if their "Value" score is lower.  I wish they'd do away with it, but it's doubtful!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ian611 

Like all Airbnb rating categories, value is subjective. But in my mind value is not whether or not someone can afford a product/service. The value of something is not known until they experience it. Have you never eaten a great meal but thought to yourself the price was too high and you might not pay for it again? Or you bought a product to have it brake the next day. You were still able to afford the item but it may or not may be priced at the appropriate value to consumers. 

If you are happy with the number of bookings you are getting and you are making the money you wish, then keep doing what you are going. People are obviously still willing to pay for the experience. If the star ratings concern you then try to give guests a better perception of the great value. Perhaps leave them a bottle of wine, stock your place with more amenities (board games, movies, snacks), etc. 

Ian611
Level 4

Hi, we leave snacks ,milk,breakfast cereal,tea ,coffee and sugar already.

Also a DVD player with a selection of DVD s 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It might be worth asking the guests what they feel should have been included in the listing that would have made it five star. But really there is no logic.

I was recently given my first ever 3 star rating for value 😞

I offer guests a double room with expensive new mattress and bed, newly refurbished with new carpet and newly repainted, a wide selection of teas and coffees, bathrobes, quality toiletries, full access to a kitchen with oils, herbs, spices, coffee maker, food processor etc.

A living/dining room with books, games etc

Courtyard garden

1.5 bathrooms

For £30 a night plus one off token £5 cleaning fee. (plus Airbnb fee).

I was gobsmacked that she gave me 3 star for value.