Vetting

Kitty39
Level 2
Ponchatoula, LA

Vetting

Has anyone ever gotten a message from Airbnb that they received information about a guest deemed undesirable and then cancelled their reservation 

im wondering about this because in 3 years I’ve never had any problems and just curious. The guest did not have any references, no profile pic and had just joined. I appreciate the vetting process to ensure our safety 

Kitty in Louisiana 

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kitty39  I never have, but yes, hosts sonetimes get these. It could be that the guest's payment info was bad, i.e. their payment was rejected by the credit card company, stolen crwdit card, maybe the guest got caught opening a new account because they'd been banned before or had terrible reviews, you'll never know.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Kitty39 Yes, this happens occasionally.
“I appreciate the vetting process to ensure our safety.” Just so long as you’re aware that there is no formal vetting process that Airbnb applies for every guest who uses the platform. Hosts must be vigilant and thorough in doing their own vetting of every single guest.

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

This has happened to me numerous times... I have learned to write down the guests number after booking this way you I can reach out in case the guest gets cancelled by AirBnb. In my personal experience this is usually done in my area to stop parties. I had another guest who was cancelled and I was able to reverse look up his name and found out that he had a legal case that he was dealing with otherwise I just take the case by case.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Kitty39, @Nina75 , @Colleen253 , @Sarah977 

Just a suggestion, I print a pdf of every reservation to my business file.  It has all the information needed in case of some potential loss of information or in a case like this.  As well, we know Airbnb history of suspending accounts.  If this were to happen, I would at least have a record and would be able to contact guests.

Leslie709
Level 1
Annapolis, MD

I feel as if AirBnB has no stake in this risk.  Owners assume all risks so should be given a better way of vetting potential guests.   Often guests don’t match with reviews, have only a first name or avatar name and very often misrepresent who is staying.  I would like guest to provide a photo ID and fully vetted name, address and phone number.  Hotels are allowed to request this - why shouldn’t AirBnB????

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Leslie709 

Airbnb could do it.

They apparently do not feel that it would be profitable for them to do it.

They are currently more interested in coercing hosts into accepting any and all bookings instantly.

When problems arise the hosts can deal with them.

Exactly!  It was better when you paid a yearly fee and dealt with property yourself.  Thanks. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Kitty39 

It does not happen frequently, but occasionally.
I think that some guests who are banned from Airbnb creates another profile or ask another to person book a listing for them. When Airbnb discover the trick, the reservation is cancelled. 
It is possible to find out it by crossing information.