WHY are Airbnb asking are you a business and demanding resubmittal of personal information with threats

Marvin39
Level 2
London, GB

WHY are Airbnb asking are you a business and demanding resubmittal of personal information with threats

Airbnb are asking hosts 'are you a business?' Ok, so the tax man is maybe asking,

but then they ask for the re-submittal of personal identity information including DOB, address etc. that they have had on file for years. This is very scary - Has AIrbnb had a disastrous security breach that requires them to get hosts to re-submit stolen data ?

Even scarier, cannot get a straight answer out of Airbnb 'Experts', just bland statements and evasive answers.

Any idea what's going on ?

3 Replies 3
Jackie570
Level 6
Green Bay, WI

I've been an Airbnb host for years and I've never had this happen. It sounds like you might be dealing with scammers. Do not give any personal information through links they send or anything else like that.

Dwayne62
Level 1
Whitecourt, Canada

This is definitely from Airbnb. I just recently had this happen too and it was from the Airbnb App. 

I am also curious why they are asking for all this information now. It just didn't sit right with me. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Marvin39 @Dwayne62 @Jackie570 

It’s because they are subjected to ongoing and increasing pressure from tax authorities.

I’m seriously doubt that Airbnb wants to deal with all that nonsense but they are required to do so by law.

We can expect to have to resubmit the information every year from now on.