WWYD: Review or not to Review

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

WWYD: Review or not to Review

Stayed in a place recently. Host has already reviewed me and I'm torn about writing a review. I'd like to hear your thoughts...

Pros: host is a very friendly & speedy communicator

I didn't pay alot bc SH coupon and non-busy dates

Neutral: they have several (<20) listings

they're in a location where real estate is cheap and there are enough high demand dates that they'll be successful financially and otherwise just from existing

Cons: there were things that I didn't think were that great, but a few simple changes would help immensely (thin drapes and blaring 24 hour security lights shining into windows, 1 tiny towel hook: 2 guests/2 days/2 towels, nowhere to sit anything down in the bath other than on top of closed toilet)

the listing was upbeat but lacked some detail about fairly important things. (really difficult parking, proximity to other rooms, shared hallways, construction happening on all sides)

there are only a handful of photos and one of them is of a door hinge

there is construction residue that makes the whole bath seem grimy (I'm sure it was "cleaned" but it wasn't really "clean")

there were things that I didn't think were that great but maybe that's just personal preference (naked box spring, pillows like overinflated balloons, collected art and furniture that felt like garage sale castoffs)

the place is billed a boutique hotel, but it's more like a poorly converted 12x12 room in an office building with a queen bed.

So: we all know that ABB considers a 5* review a floor, not a ceiling. And I was there as a guest, not as a 'your ABB needs some help' consultant. So, I could just 5* review everything (I really want to see what the review process looks like from the Guest side!) and not say anything about the not so great parts. Or I could use the 4s that I think the space merits in terms of accuracy, cleanliness or value but I don't feel good about that. Or I could not review and tell him a few tips privately. Or I could just keep my mouth shut about the whole thing.

Final detail: this block of rooms is the host's newest offering so it doesn't have but 1 review yet, though he has close to 300 total reviews on other properties.  On popular dates people will be paying 500+ /night for this space. And this guy just converted a building to a hotel in the worst travel time any of us can remember. His upcoming calendar is entirely blank.

34 Replies 34
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Well, this just happened... so I guess that review is on the way...

Kelly,

When you all have time would you please be kind enough to leave a review for your stay. Thank you for having left the place nicely and I have left you a wonderful review.

Thank You 

@Kelly149  There are people in these forums for whom I great deal of respect that I disagree with about the topic of a host making any insinuation about how they hope a guest will review them. Primarily these are hosts who are exceptionally good at their jobs but terrified of the capacity for Airbnb's algorithms to make their fine work appear fallible. Well, here you go: a mediocre host (who probably believes he's perfect) is trying to use that rating anxiety to influence your review. Not all that different from all the ones who seek to "educate" their guests about how anything less than 5 stars is basically going to ruin their lives. How does this make you feel as a guest, who thought maybe your experience was imperfect?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Telling a guest that you left them a great review is really manipulative. (also completely defeats the concept of "blind" reviews"). That would put me off.

I may be uncommon in that while I do sometimes "educate" my guests about the review system, I truly don't do it because I'm terrified of a less than 5* review- I really don't care about that. I just hate hypocrisy and non-transparency and I think that guests should be aware that Airbnb leads them to think they are leaving a good rating when they apply those ratings quite differently on the host end. 

I actually say to guests that hey, if a guest thinks it only deserves 3 or 4*s, or written criticism, that's what they should feel free to leave, I just don't want them to be misled into leaving a lower rating than they do think it deserves, whether it's for my listing or anyone else's, simply because Airbnb gave them the impression they were leaving ratings that the host would be pleased with.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kelly149  Who are you and what have you done with @Kelly149?

You have excellent standards, and you know what?  You apply those same standards to yourself, to your Airbnb, and I bet to the way you raise your kids and keep your house and live your life.  When did the world become a place where someone with excellent standards is made to feel like Cruella de Ville?

I get why you're torn, I really do.  But even though your description of the place was incredibly even-handed, I felt my skin crawling by the time I reached the end of it.  If you'd said, "But for $79 a night, not bad!," that would have been one thing.  But you said he would probably be asking $500 a night for that place.  And it doesn't sound like he's delivering that level of value.

No, it's not your job to tell him how to run his listing.  But if I were going to be the next guest, I'd love to get a heads up that there is more than one sub-par element to the place.  More power to him if, a year from now, he's stepped up his game and the reviews show it.  Shame on him if, a year from now, he's like @Anonymous's host and hasn't lifted a finger to make improvements.

And btw that message he sent you is sleazy.  Now I'm getting mad.  I'll stop before I rant more.  

You don't need to second-guess yourself a minute longer.  You're not being "that Superhost" by giving him a 4.  You're being discerning.

@Ann72 I know, this is why I no longer ask guests for reviews and I only review really bad guests or guests who review me first.

Trust me, there are much worse places to stay in this town during a football weekend. And with my coupon, I did spend about $60/night, so I definitely got that much value.

Seriously, I've stayed in 4 ABBs and they were all meh... everytime I do it, it makes me question the entire platform and my own listing. I think our place is pretty cute and that guests are lucky to stay there, but who knows maybe they end their stay saying "well, that wasn't anything special"

I did take photos of every single page of the review flow... I think you guys are going to be less than thrilled with it if I get around to posting them. There were 31 photos and at some point I stopped taking photos of duplicates. 31. 

@Kelly149  Oh my Lord - 31 - it’s a miracle anyone leaves a review at all.

@Ann72 I know... now to be fair I clicked every possible button, I'm sure most people don't but still

@Kelly149  I don't think you can look at the value in terms of what you were out of pocket because you happened to have a coupon to use. You have to look at it in terms of what the host actually charges per night. And the fact that he thinks it qualifies as a "boutique hotel", when it sounds quite far from that. 

While it's not the type of place I could normally afford when travelling, I happened to be lucky once to have a friend who was working as the receptionist/asst. manager for a small boutique hotel in Carmel, Calif. She couldn't afford to live in Carmel herself, and had a really tiny apartment in Seaside, just up the road. So I said I'd find some inexpensive hotel (this was pre-Airbnb days) but she said it was off-season and they had empty rooms at the hotel where she worked and just gave me one for free. I have no idea what they did charge per night, but the room was gorgeous. Not big at all, but furnished impeccably in Pacific Rim style, with lots of wicker and silk throw pillows, carefully chosen art and lamps, nice fluffy towels and lovely finish work. That was a boutique hotel.

@Sarah977 yes! once you've seen a really well-done space it's easy to notice the shortfalls in other places. Just a couple careful touches could have moved it from meh to lovely.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kelly149 This is a tough one. I find myself really difficult to please when I am a guest and at the same time I get angry when guests are picky. Should it be the hosts job to mention parking hard to find or the guests if they are bringing a car? You paid what you paid. It doesn’t matter what the host will/might charge someone else. They will leave their review, you leave yours. During lalapalooza I can rent each step of the front porch separately and get five stars with comments for a spacious accommodation. Was it a good value for the money you paid? Was the hinge in the picture the same one with the hinge in the apartment? If you just want to see what review process looks like, just start going through but don’t press the final conformation button. 

@Inna22 you're right... I'm spoiled, I live in a custom-built house that I designed to have everything be just the way I want it... our normal vacation spots are at resorts with more zeros in the price than most ABBs and I hate picky guests... this is all why the guy got 5*s ( I only spent $60 afterall!!) and he can take or leave any suggestions (I've already gotten a nice message from him)

@Inna22  You crack me up. Now I want to see your new listing in the "Unique Stays" on the Airbnb homepage. "Inna's Steps- live like a local homeless person! Plenty of space to stretch out, complimentary coffee in the morning! (Due to COVID concerns, please bring your own blanket)"

@Sarah977 Thank you for a good morning laugh! I’ve literally just woke my son up with it!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

this was the note I sent (in messages, not in the review) for the host

Done! Since the place is new too, a couple thoughts: There is a security light on all night directly across from the windows of this room that is overpowering the drapes. Also it's a bit tricky to manage the bathroom with only one towel hook and no available shelf space. Some additional hooks and/or a shelf for toiletry bags would be helpful. oh, and that sink is draining slowly. Also, knowing that balancing laundry is tricky, 2 towels, 2 guests, 2 days is not ideal when one of those guests is a lady with long hair. Not the end of the world just a thought. Also, the recycled door signage from the stadium or somewhere on campus is cute, but it did make me question if I was in the right place... all your communication is very thorough, maybe a photo or just reference the full labeling listed on those placards instead of just saying room 4?? Hope y'all have a great football season, even if it's just 20%. Take care Kelly

Kelly10:31 PM
oh, and there's a photo of a door hinge on the listing? Maybe a photo/description of the parking challenges and also the layout of the rest of the building would help folks too. Best!
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

this was the review itself

This small bed/bath in a converted building containing several different suites in a growing section of town (construction of several other properties happening nearby) will be just right for folks who will be busy in town and just need a place to crash after a full day. Barden is a quick and friendly communicator. That one parking space you're allotted will work great for anyone with a standard size vehicle, extended cab pickup or full-size SUV may be too tight a squeeze.

I didn't notice that the guy before me called this place a nice hostel ( the dyslexic in me skipped right over that)...