Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Welcome to Cappadocia!

Metin44
Level 2
Ürgüp, Türkiye

Welcome to Cappadocia!

Hello! I'm a host who owns a Cave hotel in the Ürgüp region of Cappadocia. Many people know the area mainly because of the magical morning view consisting of Hot Air Balloons. Although, Cappadocia has more to offer! 🙂 In this topic I want to give a brief history of Cappadocia and answer questions that you might have about the area! I would want more people to be interested in our beautiful Cappadocia and its history 🙂

Cappadocia region was formed 60 million years ago by erosion of soft layers of lava and ash from Mount Erciyes (Argeus), Mount Hasan and Mount Güllü composing with wind and rain over millions of years.

Human settlement at the Cappadocia region dates back to the Paleolithic era. The lands where the Hittites once lived have been one of the most important centers of Christianity in the later periods. Houses and churches carved into the caves and rocks turned the region into a huge heaven for Christians escaping from the dominance of the Roman Empire.

The region of Cappadocia is a place where nature and history integrates. While geographical events created fairy chimneys – the people carved houses and churches inside these chimneys. Later on decorated them with frescoes in this historical process, bringing the traces of civilizations for thousands of years to present. Written history of Cappadocia, where human settlement dates back to the Paleolithic era, begins with the Hittites. Hosting trade colonies throughout history and founding commercial and social bridges between countries, Cappadocia was one of the important junctions of the Silk Road.

The region nowdays has a great importance in terms of Tourism. The main worthseeing places are Ürgüp, Avanos, Göreme, Akvadi, Uçhisar and Ortahisar Castles, El Nazar Church, Aynalı Church (The Church with Mirrors) Güvercinlik Valley, Derinkuyu, Kaymaklı, Özkonak underground cities, Ihlara Valley, Selime Village, Çavuşin, Güllüdere Valley, Paşabağ and Zelve. If you are planning a trip to Cappadocia, I would recommend to check out these places 🙂

Traditional Cappadocian houses and dovecotes carved into caves reflect the uniqueness of the region. These houses have been constructed on hillsides by using rocks mainly in the 19th century. The Cappadocian Rock, is the only construction material of the region, as it is very soft after quarry due to the structure of the region, it can be easily processed but after contact with the air it hardens and turns into a very strong construction material. As a result of this easy and unique process, regional stonework is developed and turned into an architectural tradition. Upper parts of the doors built with arches are decorated with stylized ivy or rosette motifs.

The region is also famous for winemaking and grape growing. The "Emir" wine is made of grapes from the volcanic soils of Cappadocia. If you visit the area, you should definitely try it out!

My listing that is a hotel nowadays, was home for two families whom lived in the cave homes 200 years back. Until 11 years ago it stayed in its old natural form, then got turned into a hotel with careful restoration work. The history behind most of the cave hotels in the area are similar and this makes them very special!

I hope that you, that had no idea about Cappadocia now have a interest in visiting our beautiful region! 🙂 

2 Replies 2
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Thanks @Metin44 for sharing such a lovely overview of Cappadocia! I have not had a chance to visit yet, but you have definitely piked my curiosity. 😍

Are there any dishes that are specific to the region as well, that you'd recommend visitors try along with local Emir wine?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

You should definitely visit Cappadocia Rebecca! I would gladly help you to plan your trip whenever you decide to visit 😊

There is a special dish called "Testi Kebabı", in English "Pottery Kebab". This is an Anatolian speciality prepared in a clay pot or jug. It’s usually made with lamb, beef, or chicken with vegetables like carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and potatoes. Traditionally cooked in a tandoor or clay oven, the pot is sealed with bread dough and left to simmer in its own juices for hours. When ready, the blazing hot jug is brought out and cracked in front of you, releasing the aroma of its still gurgling contents whilst treating the diners to a little tableside show. This is very delicious and a must try! 😊

Naturally, as Cappadocia is a wine region, the grapes are also delicious. Pumpkin seeds are very popular in the region aswell.  Apart from these things, food cooked in a tandoor or clay oven is very popular and special for the region. Nowadays it is difficult to find, but if you get hold on a fresh tandoor bread you should definitely try it out!