What if your host is an anti-covid conspiracy theorist?

What if your host is an anti-covid conspiracy theorist?

Hello everyone,

So obviously, I am not going to post this question under my real account as I am still living at my Airbnb place but my questions is simple.. What would you do if your host was an anti-covid conspiracy nut? I rented this place because the host got nice reviews in the past and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. After my arrival, it appears to me that the host doesn't even believe that the virus exist and was flaunting covid rules by inviting multiple people at home and having large gatherings. I also felt a bit discriminated as the host made some political statements disparaging minority communities and as a person of color, I wasn't okay with it but didn't say anything.

Should I warn others about it by leaving a 1 star review? I've heard it's of no use because Airbnb always takes the side of the host and they will have it removed anyway. On top of that, this host has nothing but good reviews. Although on the bright side, I have only given (and received) good reviews myself too. Since, it is my first bad Airbnb experience (after many times of renting), what should I do? Say something? Or let it go? 

Sorry for the strange question but I am in a strange situation.

36 Replies 36

@John5097 so you are putting every piece of tableware and cookware in your listing through the dishwasher, and rewashing every piece of linen, on every turnover, then?

Our listings make clear we are not doing that. Instead we are leaving the houses vacant for four days between stays, which is scientifically sounder from a safety point of view.

We understand that Airbnb may deactivate our listings as a result of declining to participate in its hygiene theatrics, and are resigned to that prospect.

I agree that all hosts should set clear expectations, and follow all CDC/WHO guidelines regardless of Airbnb policy. I certainly wouldn't tolerate the situation described in the OP-- but I wouldn't rent a room in a shared home anyway, even under normal circumstances.

@Lisa723 yes I actually put all the dishes and utensils though the dishwasher. I also wash all the bedding, including blankets, sheets, encasements between each guest. I have an extra set of everything so just change it out and wash them in my WD. I clean all the surfaces such as counters, furniture, tables, first with cleaner, clean all the dishes, and put them in the dishwasher, strip the beds, and start the first loads, then vacuum the entire place with a shop vac, getting up everything including hairs in the bathroom. Then clean the bathroom using a clorox or lysol bathroom cleaner. There are glass doors so have to dry everything and clean the glass as well. Then make beds, damp mop the entire floor, and finally go around with a spray bottle of hospital grade disinfectant for every possible surface that can be touched. Then use stianless steel polish on appliances although a few times its ok to just use the cleaner and disinfectant that also gets off fingerprints. Almost all of my guest are dismayed how clean it is. 

I noticed you have all 5* and I was wondering why you would keep it vacant 4 days between guest but that makes sense. I think the most important thing is to be up front. 

I also watch documentaries and educational programming to learn about isssues that involve race, religion and politics and stay clear of the superficial memes and rants on social media. My guest are also here to get out and make memories. I actually like reading some of the comments here as other host are so smart and concise.  

@John5097 we keep it vacant so that our cleaners don't have to enter for 72 hours after guests leave and guests don't have to enter for 24 hours after cleaners leave. It is costing us money for sure but we think it's the only way to keep everyone safe. We literally could not rewash everything in one day without substantially reducing the amenities in the houses, and believe it's not necessary, especially with our vacancy buffer.

I agree that the most important thing is to be transparent so guests know exactly what to expect and can choose accordingly.

Sounds good. I also can open the windows to let it air out. The electric roof exhaust vents suck air out and create a negative pressure so new air is being sucked in. Washing bedding does take a very long time. With two high capacity WD going at the same time I could just barely turn it over with two beds. Since then I got extra sets for everything. 

That may sound a bit excessive, but its better than clocking in at 6:45 am in a cabinet shop with no heat or ac. This gives me more flexibility. I do wish there was a bit more interaction but maybe that's  good thing. 

@John5097  I really miss meeting the guests.  Not only do I think that it increases [almost] everyone's comfort level, willingness to ask questions, to be honest, etc. but it made hosting more fun and entertaining.  We had even the last couple of years started inviting a select few guests who we clicked with up to our apartment for drinks, and that was also a ton of fun and allowed us to really connect with guests from other countries and get different perspectives, histories and so on.  Now, I feel like I'm just a faceless hotel administrator. 

@Mark116 that sounds fantastic. I've also had some great experiences with guest. Its been a great learning experience as well to become more interactive. I also miss meeting and getting together with my local friends who have similar interest. That's a very positive way to look at it. Thanks for sharing. Here is to a more interactive next year!