What is too picky about how a guest leaves your place.?

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

What is too picky about how a guest leaves your place.?

Hi all....just wondering what is the limit for you to leave a review about how they left the place.  For instance, crumbles, maybe they missed the wastebasket and left stuff on the floor, kitchen sink splatter with coffee, something dripped in the floor here and there and not wiped up, that kind of thing.  It really pisses me off but is it something to mention in their review, would you mention stuff like that.  I was thinking I'd just say something about they could have been a bit more tidy.?  They were here one night a couple days ago.  I don't bake anymore for a nice little Welcome since Covid.  I started putting snack bags of a few different popcorn instead, these people had bits of popcorn everywhere, coffee drips, they emptied the ice cube trays and left them in the freezer, along with an empty ice cube bin and a few other things what some may consider nitpicky, maybe, that's the question.  What's your limit.?

65 Replies 65

@Sarah977  I'm just glad I've had more people who have kept it nice than not.  A friend had left photos on facebook once about the mess people left, I didn't see anything I'd consider a mess.  She had a comment from a guy who said, "if I'm on vacation I'm not cleaning while I'm there", so there ya have it.  Just depends on the type of person/persons the guest happens to be.  LOL didn't register how it looked upon arriving, that's so true, people can be oblivious.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Wende2 - I wouldn't mind most of it - and personally I'm terrible about popcorn, I don't know how it jumps out of one's fingers the way it does - but empty ice cube trays back in the freezer?  Please.  That's the height of laziness and just completely inconsiderate.  Definitely mark them down on numbers, and as to the review, I imagine all you can say is that cleaning up after them took longer than normal?

@Ann72  Empty ice cube trays back in the freezer? Have you ever lived with teenagers? They do that stuff all the time. My favorite was them putting a carton of milk back in the fridge that had a half inch of milk left in it 🙂

@Sarah977  I raised three teenagers but I wouldn't host them as they were then, I mean the fashion choices alone would disqualify them for a remotely positive review - NOT THAT I WOULD EVER TELL THEM THAT LOL

@Ann72 My oldest was a teenager in the late 80's when "Shaker knit" sweaters were all the rage. She was really fastidious and wouldn't wear anything if it wasn't freshly laundered. She'd fire up the washing machine to wash one of those bulky sweaters she'd worn for 2 hours. Same with jeans, even if she'd only worn them for a couple hours, they couldn't be worn again until washed because "the knees are bagged out".

She had an equivalent amount of laundry just for herself as what I had for myself, her two younger sisters and all the towels and bedding.

@Sarah977  Love it!  🙂

A friend and I concluded tonight that we would probably survive all this, because we had survived so much - such as the things we wore in the 80s.  I mean Shaker knit sweaters - kill me now 😂

@Ann72 @Sarah977  But they're popular again now! Completely inexplicable. They are hideous.

@Alexandra316  OMG you are right - my daughter was wearing a Shaker-knit cardigan yesterday.  It didn't register with me until this minute!  It was saved by being cashmere, while the 80s versions were cotton, which made them weigh a lot and take forever to dry!

@Ann72 Yeah, I think you can make an exception for cashmere.

I also see a lot of them in polyester now... not cool. 

@Alexandra316  "Ew, David!"

😂What a great reference. Perfect. 

@Sarah977 A half inch of milk is totally acceptable - My daughters put empty containers back in the fridge!

@Mike-And-Jane0 , absolutely acceptable for sure, 1/2 " is better than none when your looking for enough to wash down a cookie!   It would be a crime not to tell Melodie that thats all that is left though.   TP infractions are even more egregious,  leaving 3 squares without replacing the roll is a dog house event!   I learned much in 30 years, (not so sure Melodie agrees...)   Stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 @Mike-And-Jane0 

The teenage mentality seems to be that as long as you leave at least a tiny bit- one ice cube in the tray, half an inch of milk, 3 squares of toilet paper, you don't have to strain yourself to either throw the empty in the garbage or refill or replace whatever it is.

What's amazing is that it's not a learned behavior, or that they all got together and decided on that plan, it's like it's hard wired in teenage brains 🙂

@Ann72  Hi.....it just gets me that you must know you drop stuff, they had to see it as it was everywhere.?  Usually the ice cube trays are in the sink, actually more often than not refilled.  These people came early evening and left late morning, it looked like they stayed several days, and obviously into everything.  Will definitely being giving less stars.  I always leave the...read between the lines review, don't know why, it's not like I want them back, or will see them out and about.  I should be MORE considerate of the next host for pete's sake.  I guess I have more guests that leave it nice than don't, so it gets under my skin a bit when I see it left a mess, well what I call a mess, since it's NOT how I'd leave someones home.