Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 

Said the page wasn't available when I tried it... 😞

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 

Thanks! Well, I guess many of us will have experienced both types of managers.

Which is Airbnb?

If you mean in terms of their staff, I have no idea, except for that disturbing article about their triple outsourced 'call centre' staff...

In terms of how they manage hosts (although of course they aren't technically our managers), well, I think they market themselves as one type...

When you call up, you're greeted with "Hello Superhost!" You're then told repeatedly by some rep how valued you are, how much they appreciate you being such a great host and what you do for your guests. They tell you they are there to help you in any way. They will ask if there is anything else they can do for you. They will reward you with an email with a cheerful GIF, a travel credit and maybe even send you a key ring or tea towel. 

But, in reality, if you get a 3* review or more than one 4* review within a certain time period, they will send you a threatening email telling you that you need to do better. They suspend hosts without evidence and without any consultation and before any investigation. You are guilty until proven innocent. They might refuse to tell you what you are guilty of, but tell you that you need to fix it and do better. Even once you are proven innocent, you still get reprimanded, the slap on the wrist and told it's now on your record. Don't do it again (even though you've just proved you didn't do it in the first place) or there will be consequences. 

I once watched an interesting documentary about health in the workplace and a large part of it was focused on mental health. The thing that researchers have found to be the most demotivational (sic?) and demoralising is to give someone responsibility without authority.

Hosts have the responsibility for providing the product, maintaining standards and keeping customers happy. That's quite a lot to take on. Yet, they don't get the authority that should go with it.

In theory, we are free to choose which guests we accept, but in practice, our acceptance rate is measured and we are told not to let it drop below 88%. Our ranking will decrease if we decline guests. Decline too many and you might even get suspended/delisted. We are pushed to use instant book. We are allowed to select our cancellation policy, but a poorly trained CS rep can choose to override this policy, or will pressurise you into offering full refunds when they are not warranted. We do not have the authority to cancel because we will be heavily penalised. We do not have the authority to collect payment for damages. And on and on...

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I have never felt Airbnb 'manages' me in any way or form since half what they want me to do I don't even follow and consider sheer nonsense. I adhere just enough to what they require of me to stay in their program because they are indeed a plus in my life and in turn I am a host that brings them a very good example.

I consider Airbnb a good company, a tremendous positive contributor to many people's lives and for that most  should be grateful, if they are not that is their business and their misfortune. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Fred13 

Well, I don't think that Airbnb is the boss of me, but I do believe there are many ways in which they try to 'manage' hosts, or if you want a better word, manipulate them into doing what Airbnb rather than the host would prefer.

When I started hosting, I was renting out a three bedroom, newly redecorated, nicely and fully furnished flat in a smart area. I set my deposit at the highest option I was given, which to my mind didn't sound anywhere near enough. It did not prevent me from getting bookings.

Very soon, an Airbnb rep called me up and asked me why. I explained. He then went on to try to convince me to reduce my deposit, telling me it wasn't necessary, Airbnb had me covered, had my back etc. if anything went wrong. It's not that I didn't believe him, but to me it was normal to have a reasonable deposit when a stranger is renting your property, so I thanked him but didn't change a thing. 

My point is that Airbnb tries to create the impression that you are in control, e.g. at that time having the option of setting a deposit at that amount, but then tries to manage/manipulate you into running your business how they want you to.

while I always enjoy hearing your perspective @Fred13 , in many ways, your listing is oceans away from what most ABB hosts experience.

But that does bring up a good point, related to this story, in that it is much easier to be a pleasant "manager" at the Four Seasons, or on a private island, bc the price point has self-selected out many of the problems that a lower-priced place will create. To be sure, wealthy types can and do bring along their own baggage but it is of a different sort. This, I think, is part of ABB's problem... they write blanket policies and apply them to listings that range wildly in their geography/amenities/price/occupancy. And then CS is also allowed to follow those policies, or not, depending on the day/moment. They rule host adherence with an iron fist and have zero accountability from their own side of the equation. None of these things engender "I love my job!!"

True, my listing is really by design, I am not willing to deal with many of the listing realities I read here. Dealing with my clientele is however oftentimes boils down to a 'battle of wills' which I feel quite comfortable with, since by virtue of nature, education and age I am well prepare to handle and in reality welcome. 😉

@Fred13 Nevertheless Fred the scam you have just been a victim to was once a semi victimless crime . The "organiser" would collect everyones money , always a little more than their share, and end up with a free holiday for 'organizing ' the trip These days it seems the host must be made to 'organize 'the free stay and the 'trick ' is to not alert the other guests . The way you have handled this , through the reviews is perfectly workable for any host. The reason the 'scammer ' was caught is because the other guests enjoyed the trip so much they looked your listing up after they left , maybe to show other friends. Well done. H