What local food would you recommend if I visited your town?

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piรฑas, Philippines

What local food would you recommend if I visited your town?

I'm really interested in local cuisine. I love trying new snacks and dishes, and iโ€™m also particularly drawn to different types of fruits. What local food would you recommend if i visited your town?

38 Replies 38
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Bea2137 Fish, chips and mushy peas. The fish is usually Cod deep fried in batter. The chips are thick cut potatoes again deep fried. Mushy peas are oversized pease boiled and mashed up.

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piรฑas, Philippines

Thanks for the suggestion @Mike-And-Jane0. Iโ€™ve tried fish and chips before but havenโ€™t tried mushy peas yet. Adding that to my bucket list!๐Ÿคฉ 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Bea2137  I came here to say fish and chips too! Living near the sea is even better. We also have a local fisherman who sells fish and cockles by the tub. I'm vegetarian though so I pass on the fish and make sure we choose a local 'chippy' that doesn't cook in beef drippings. All washed down with a good local beer from Adnams of Southwold! ๐Ÿบ 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Bea2137 unfortunately our beachside town offers many choices from Indian which we like, too vegetarian,  Italian+pizzas, fish and chips but I will pass on @Mike-And-Jane0 mushy peas but we get fresh local fish and prawns which we cook on the barbeque all year round. There is the steak house which is popular along with the pub and club serve bistro meals. 

Fruit I like mangoes in season but I  buy papaya and rock melon most weeks. All grown in Australia as our climate is warmer up north and they grow them all year round

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piรฑas, Philippines

Iโ€™d fly over for the BBQ prawns, thatโ€™s for sure! ๐Ÿคค๐Ÿคค๐Ÿคค๐Ÿคค๐Ÿคค

Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Bea2137 

The awesomeness of my town is that you can find "local" cuisine from all around the world in  one square mile. You can travel from Indian Square that has authentic food from a variety of different pradeshes  to Honduran village food in a 10 minute walk. I love that about Jersey City. 

While there is no authentic New Jersey food, the most authentic food in Jersey City is probably Italian. Best pizza on this side of Hudson 

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piรฑas, Philippines

Exploring a town with diverse food options is like a sneak peek into its welcoming, inclusive vibe. I've visited NJ a couple of times and totally agree โ€” the choices are endless! There's also a thriving Filipino community there. Ever had the chance to try Filipino cuisine?

Hans-Kristian2
Level 1
Fรธvling, Denmark

In Bryrup town you can every day buy fresh fruit in the local store, Brugsen.  On the mainstreet are Bryrup stenovnspizzaria **

This place is very well recommended. If you go to Silkeborg (20km), you will find many restaurents.

**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines ]

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piรฑas, Philippines

Thank you for this suggestion. Iโ€™ve never visited your town but will surely add this to my bucket list. ๐Ÿคฉ

Timothy563
Level 2
Federal Capital Ter, Nigeria

If you come to my place in Nigeria, i will recommend Amala and ewedu soup with goat meat. For fruits; I will recommend water melon and orange and for snacks; I will recommend eggroll.

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piรฑas, Philippines

Yes i love ewudu soup and okra soup!๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ

That all sounds so good @Timothy563

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

If you come to my Airbnb in Maine @Bea2137 you will have to have lobster!  We would go down to the dock and ask the lobstermen to pull up traps so we can choose the ones we like.  Bring them home, steam them in an inch of salt water, and serve with melted butter and lemon.  

Or we can go down to a shack on a nearby island and have it outdoors at a picnic table where your only utensil is a rock for cracking the shells.  Bring some wine and sit looking at the peaceful view as the sun sets.  Nothing better!

Burnt Cove Boil in Stonington, MaineBurnt Cove Boil in Stonington, Maine

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Ann72 I think I will join you.