What to leave for a guest review. (What is fair vs. nitpicky?)

What to leave for a guest review. (What is fair vs. nitpicky?)

A bit uncertain what to write for this guest review. Couple came for the weekend. My listing is a master bedroom with a separate entrance. 

While the guests technically didn't break any rules, they left a lot of trash behind. An entire uneaten pizza sitting out, several bags of trash and a variety of personal items (razors, toothbrushes, soap, computer cables). Obviously in the turn over process, I remove trash and that's fine. It just struck me as rather excessive and lacking any courtesy. Like a hotel room that just had a small party with two people.

Then, communication: I send one welcome message at the beginning with check in instructions. During their stay I sent one other message that I would be turning on air conditioning for their comfort. No responses to either. Again, not a huge deal, but you are staying in someone's home. Reply.

Again no significant problems, it just left kind of a bad taste like "Really?" I would not host them again.

So, how do I convey this honestly without excessively nitpicking and jeopardizing their Airbnb reputation too much? I just want to convey that it was slightly unappreciated and not good etiquette in the future. I noticed all other reviews on this guest were positive, and specifically mentioned "left the place clean."

I was thinking this:

"No significant issues although a fair amount trash, food scraps, and personal items left behind. Responding to messages would also be appreciated when staying in someone's home. But again, no significant issues. They did strip the bed which is not necessary, but appreciated. Good guests otherwise."

Or should I leave everything out then write a private note?

I notice so many reviews of listings (and possibly guests) are always excessively positive and occasionally not accurate, I don't want to just write something glowing when I felt a little irritated. 

8 Replies 8
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Christopher64,

It sounds like you need to start including what type of cleaning guests are expected to perform during their stay, and  also checkout instructions before checkout.  I would write something generic, "The guests were not very communicative, and left the place a bit untidy with trash, used personal hygiene items and open food."  Personally, that last part would be a red flag to me as a host, because open food attracts bugs and critters, and used razors, just yuck!

Thanks for the comments. The review sounds overly critical in my head, but from your words it seems reasonable. I'll be gentle. Again, it's a balance of expecting some guest courtesy (because they are in your home) and not wanting to be petty about things...

I will say overall that most guests have been exceptionally clean and tidy. I would not say this is a general problem. Obviously we expect some trash as part of the turn over, but I guess a giant room temp pizza sitting out just seems kinda rude... Anyway. Thanks for the comments. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I would not make specific mention of such minutiae in the grand scheme of things, but if such things are important to you I would list them up front as expectant requirements for future guests. I would give them 4's with cleanliness getting a 3 without any fanfare.

Good point. It's about the balance of expecting some courtesy because it's not a hotel, but I also don't want to be overly petty. I think it was the accumulation of details - not replying to messaging, lots of trash, just kind of a general level of disregard that rubs me the wrong way. But overall, no major harm done. Thanks. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Christopher64 

In regards to left behind personal items like Computer cords, do send them a message and ask them if they would like them back.

Left behind property is technically there's and must be held onto in accordance with various laws.

Perishable items like Food are supposed to be held onto for from recall up to 48 hours and can then be disposed of.

Non perishables including Alcohol can last longer and at the moment I can't recall what the time-frame is for that.

Check your local Legislation.

To your points Helen, "checking my local legislation," "various laws," and reaching out the guest about a compute cable is a big fat no f-ing way? Possibly you're joking. A computer cable. Check my local legislation. What local legislation?  I am not an employee of the guest. After they leave trash all over the place and ignore my communication? Umm ok. Maybe you have nothing better to do.

The guest immediately before actually had some mail sent to himself here at my house. By the time it arrived he had long since left, and then he asked me to forward it to him. Which I kindly did - to Hawaii - for $10. It also took almost an hour at the post office. Paying it forward, karma, a kind gesture, sure - no problem. But according to your suggestion this might become a full time job pleasing the idiocy of my guests?  I don't mean to rant but I find your comments extremely odd.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Christopher64, the problem with hosts leaving glowing reviews for less-than-glowing guests is that it empowers said guests to keep inflicting their bad behaviour on other hosts - they may even be completely clueless that their behaviour is not appreciated if no one ever picks them up on it. So, I think your review is fine (maybe leave out the bit about stripping the bed - also, did you check the sheets? Sometimes guests strip the bed because they've left stains). I would just leave it at No significant issues, although a fair amount trash, food scraps, and personal items left behind. Responding to messages would also be appreciated when staying in someone's home. Good guests otherwise.

Wow. I'm needing ideas for a fair review... This is a good thread, as, I don't want to fellow hosts to get "surprised" like I did. Thank you.