Whattsapp scam or legit question?

Vincent769
Level 2
Washington, DC

Whattsapp scam or legit question?

Just received a strange booking request that screams scam to me based on the message format/syntax and a request to talk offline.  I reported the profile to AirBnB but don't know whether to respond to the individual through AirBnB app's message. On one side, I don't want to be the next victim of a scam but I also don't want to unfairly treat a potential customer because they don't understand the platform rules. Here is the request: 

"Hi Vince! My name is XXXXX.  I'm going to have a business trip to Washington. I was looking through Airbnb to find some apartments there and intended to book your apartment I am planning to stay at your place, but I have a few questions to discuss before booking. Please, contact me on VVha ts ap p as soon as you can This is my number plus and. five nineee threeee twooo threeee oone and, twwo twwo and. twooo zero siiix"

I have changed the Whattsapp number and name of the individual for privacy. The profile does not indicate a location, is brand new (created this month), and has no reviews. The booking would start in 2 days. 

8 Replies 8
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Elena87  This is exactly my thought and you're reading the same syntax concern that I am. Perhaps they are learning not to write their scam details into the initial message?  The fact that there is no discussion on staying elsewhere or paying off app is why I wondered whether to respond back using the AirBnB app.  

I'm also happy to ignore them (although AirBnB is warning me that it will hurt my response rate). 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Vincent769 Definitely Sir Scammy of Scamalot.  Ignore.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Just respond with No so your response time to message isn't affected.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Vincent769  Are you sure this came in the form of a booking request? I would venture a guess that it was an Inquiry, instead. Well know money laundering, stolen credit card scam.

If it's an Inquiry, just message back "No" or "Go away, scammer" or " !"·%& " so you don't get dinged on response rate. Do not click on decline. Report the message and the profile by clicking on the "Report" button.

Vincent769
Level 2
Washington, DC

@Sarah977  Thanks for the clarity.  This was going to be my response back to @Debra300 . 

Out of curiosity, why would we not decline?  

@Vincent769  Declining will lower your acceptance rate. And there is no reason to ever decline an Inquiry, because all you need to do with an Inquiry, in order not to get dinged on anything, is message back within 24 hours. That fulfills your obligations. You will get pesky messages from Airbnb reminding you to pre-approve or decline, but you can safely ignore those. They will disappear after 24 hours if you clear your cache.

A Booking Request is different- you have to either Accept or Decline within 24 hours, unless you can convince the guest to withdraw their request.

@Sarah2  thanks. This was hugely informative.