Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

When booking an Entire House does the Host still keep their personal clothes in the wardrobe and food in the pantry?

Nashi4
Level 1
Auckland, NZ

When booking an Entire House does the Host still keep their personal clothes in the wardrobe and food in the pantry?

Just wanted to double check, so far we have booked entire houses/apartments and have found the wardrobe empty for the guests to use. Recently came across, where the bedroom had clothes already inside, pantry was full. So it felt like someone was already staying and has left for a day to give us the space. Is this normal while booking a entire place?

2 Replies 2
Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I personally wouldn't leave personal items such as clothes in my unit. It's just asking for issues for both guests and hosts. I do, however, leave items in the pantry and cupboards for guest use, and I mention in my house manual that that is what it is there for.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nashi4  Some entire home listings are used exclusively for Airbnb, and some are homes where the hosts normally live, or live for part of the year and may have their personal belongings in it. Some hosts may only list their home when they are away travelling themselves, or may just go stay with a relative or friend when they have a booking. Sometimes this is the only way a host like a single mom can afford to keep up her mortgage payments and wouldn't necessarily choose to do this if they weren't in financial straits.  Usually those listings make sure to leave adequate closet, drawer, cupboard and fridge space for guests to put their things, at least one would hope they do. There's nothing not legit about listing an entire home as long as the guests have the space exclusively to themselves during their stay. But hosts usually make it clear in the listing description that they live in the home some of the time and that there will be their own stuff there as well- clothing, dishes, stored food or maybe things in the fridge.

If you thoroughly read through all of the listing description and this wasn't indicated anywhere, you might suggest to the host in private feedback that they should change their listing info to make it clear what the situation is.