Where is this guest coming from?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Where is this guest coming from?

A guest just reached out asking if I have a pool. Dates are early next week

1. NO ONE has a pool in a single family home downtown Chicago. By no one, I mean no one. We barely have garages even in the fanciest of homes
  2. It is 53 degrees and raining next week (which is normal for this time of the year). Outdoor pool usually open around Memorial day

There are high rises with indoor pools but those are small condos. I have run a search and got zero results in the entire city for a place with a pool for their group size.

This is such a ridiculous question for my area, I almost feel like it was a joke. Is there a justification for for such cluelessness? Are there parts of this country/world where pools are a given?

17 Replies 17
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Inna22  Oh my Lord.  I can’t with the cluelessness!

I would totally refer them to the nearest YMCA.  Rooms AND a pool. What could be better?

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Too funny! I know very little of downtown Chicago and I’m from small town Alberta, yet it would never occur to me to ask that question @Inna22. I think a guest that dim is best declined, lol.

@Inna22   First-time Airbnb user?

I think this year Airbnb will see a lot of people who have only stayed at hotels or motor lodges in the past booking a self-contained STR for the first time due to Covid. A small portion of them have heard the brand name before but don't have a working understanding of what it is. 

And then you have would-be jokers who haven't had a chance to sharpen their punchlines due to a year of social isolation. And sufferers of long Covid who still experience cognitive issues and brain fog months after recovery. All on the top of the average everyday clueless people who have always been around.

@Anonymous yes, no reviews, member since a minute ago. Love the description of many folk's state of mind right now. I might print it and put it up to remind myself when I deal with various people even for my "day job"

@Inna22  Why are you so mean??????????  Im in California.. its 95 degrees today next week it will be 95. Its just an innocent question.

Every hotel ive stayed at has a pool. Most of them indoor pools.

@Nina75 I think the heat has gotten to you. Mean to whom?

@Nina75  You being in California, it being 95 degrees there, and hotels in California having pools is relevant how?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  Yes, there are areas where pools are quite common. Places like Arizona, or Southern California, where temperatures soar in the summer and the air is super dry . There are a lot of backyard pools where one of my daughters lived in Canada in the interior of British Columbia, also extremely hot and dry in the summer. Deserty areas tend to have a lot of houses with pools although certainly all don't have them.

But downtown Chicago? Hahaha. Clueless.

Reminds me of a guest who asked me, "For business and entrepreneur hubs, where do you suggest? " I don't know where she thought she was travelling to- this is a tiny fishing village turned destination beach vacation tourist trap.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

That's funny @Inna22 

Are they an Australian or from a Tropical country?

Swimming pools used to be in nearly every back yard in New Zealand, including in the city when we had Quarter Acre Sections...now it's bumper to bumper housing in some of the what used to be loveliest areas thanks to Property Developers & Real Estate agents who are clueless and don't care about people's Quality of Life and standards of living and the history behind Soldiers building swimming pools for our enjoyment.

There's an outcry at the moment in Auckland about an ugly looking Prison looking Housing complex a couple of French men and a couple of others are trying to inflict on locals & I don't believe the complex has a swimming pool, indeed I don't think that the local Schools Pools are in use  in the same location due to short-sightedness.

Every New Zealand child used to learn to swim.

@Dale711 

Happy to say @Inna22 we swam last summer until the middle of May and plan on doing the same, with a day later, this year..alas, in the ocean!

Do you miss swimming Inna?

Perhaps you could offer them an inflatable children's pool??
Or include one in your listing photos....with a funny caption!!

@Inna22 

Henry and I used to have this one acquaintance whose criteria for a decent hotel breakfast buffet depended on whether the place had rice and kimchi - regardless of what country he was travelling to.  I told him he should just stick to domestic travel for everyone's sake. 😆

@Jessica-and-Henry0 that’s hilarious. How many places did he get to visit?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  I like Helen's idea.

"Yes! We do have a pool! Here's a photo of it."

Sarah977_0-1619657120390.png

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Inna22 people have asked me this. Its always a head scratcher. if I had a pool it would be very prominently displayed. I am not hiding one that is unlocked only with a secret code. 

This is like my guests who ask for firelogs to burn inside in August.  Nope. Its in the 90s and humid-- WHO WANTS A FIRE WHEN ITS 90??! These people, that's who. 

@Laura2592 Fires are romantic anytime of year.