Why listing get blocked if there was a party in it?

Why listing get blocked if there was a party in it?

Hi, 

One of my cohosts listing had party that he never agreed upon and prevented. Listing was blocked by airbnb. It is his only listing and source of income. Can someone please explain why host gets punished if someone throws a party without his permission in his listing? Now I am scared to report parties myself because my listings will get blocked too.

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@AZ-Housing0  If you have party issues, you might want to do more to discourage them before they happen. Hosts who do little to discourage or stop parties, aside from having "no parties" in their house rules, should indeed have their listings suspended, although I also know there are hosts who have done all the right things as far as vetting guests well, having cameras, and acting immediately if a guest with this intention slips through the cracks, and it's unfair to blame those hosts for their guest's behavior.

I don't know how your co-host's property descriptions read, but yours are quite bizarre.

"Huge 5b3b house with game room for great family vacation" as the entire listing description is quite likely to attract partiers, as is a 2 bedroom house you list as being for up to 10 guests. A 2 bedroom house is suitable for 4 people, 6 if you push it with a sofa bed- not 10, and cramming more beds in so you can charge more is a terrible business model. Not to mention probably against fire regulations.

1. We don't allow 1 night bookings. 2. We let guests know immediately that we don't allow parties. 3. If airbnb doesn't want parties to happen then why there is allow events button there at all? We have it off too. 4. I had over 1000 reservations in last 3 month as cohost and this was only event that we had. We don't do room rentals as you do Sarah, this is a very different model. I have a team who counts on us and our own private security guard. Not everyone wants to rent a room. 

@AZ-Housing0  Oh, I fully understand that you have entire house rentals. And that it's much more risky in terms of what guests think they can get away with.

So what happened with this party? Did your co-host go over and shut it down and boot the guests out?

I agree that involving Airbnb is a bad idea, as they hold the host responsible. Which in most cases is totally unfair, although there are hosts who simply wring their hands and act as if Airbnb is going to somehow save them, rather than doing whatever needs to be done in the moment to protect their property and ensure that the neighbors aren't disturbed. It's the sort of thing you just need to handle yourself and leave an honest review of the guest's disrepectful behavior to warn other hosts.

And of course if Airbnb is going to punish hosts for bad guest behavior, so that hosts are afraid to even report the guest for throwing a party, these guests never get banned from the platform and just keep wreaking havoc wherever they go. It's a ludicrous and dangerous approach for Airbnb to take that completely flies in the face of their PR about Trust and Safety.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sadly those measures in themselves dont stop partygoers booking your place 

2. don't overcrowd your place as Sarah says by accepting 10 in a two bed

2. vet your guests on booking 

2. have CCTV 

2. have house rules that only those on the booking can be at the listing 

2. organise for your cohost to do in person check ins and collect ID

and yes I am a home share host but also co-host whole listings in London - one of the party capitals of the world 😁

2. check CCTV on arrival and every evening 

Do you have these measures in place?????

its certainly risky for anyone to rely on. STR income for their only source of income particularly during a pandemic 

you won't necessarily be blocked for reporting parties