Wifi Test Tool makes IP address public

Tim2462
Level 2
Bay City, TX

Wifi Test Tool makes IP address public

Besides not working right, the wifi test tool sports an additional flaw - it makes your IP address public. This is clearly stated just below the “Start test” in the Airbnb app. The tool is actually administered by M-Lab, whose privacy policy is available in the same note as above. 

Here are a few clips from the privacy policy:

41213333-E3D0-4B09-A821-5092D359D44A.jpeg

79C0D3B8-5BF6-455B-AF2B-0EA8796668D2.jpeg

I am not a computer science expert, trained network administrator or a lawyer. I do know, however, that I don’t want my internet data collected, stored, and shared with the general public. I believe that this data in the wrong hands can allow spying on internet activity. 

I will not take part in this scheme. I do post screenshots of my wifi speeds within my photos. I’ll stand by that just as I do the number of beds and bathroom cleanliness. 

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tim2462 I think an IP address has to be public in order to access the internet. I readily accept I am no expert but google was clear on this.

True enough - but it’s hard to understand the emphasis on collection of multiple types of data, including metadata. Why not just provide a tool that measures wifi speed and post it to your amenities information? Instead, our data is collected, stored, and disseminated. 

@Mike-And-Jane0  When you sign up for internet service, your provider issues you a public, unique ip address. It's how the internet locates you.   

There's also a series of internal ip addresses given to any devices you have connected to your internal wifi. Generally 192.168.1.xxx.   

People like to hide their public ip address when web surfing, so they can surf "incognito", but you really aren't at a whole lot of risk from hacking or malware. It only provides general information about your location (city, post code, area) and your connection. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tim2462 ** I really don't care if they record what operating system etc I use.

**Personal remarks removed 

Name calling - classy move.

Yeah, it’s certainly common in the UK to be followed and tracked by your government, so I imagine you’ve become used to it, and accept it’s an important part of life. I guess I feel it’s important to resist ridiculous attempts at monitoring that is of no benefit to me. Might be a Texan thing. 

@Tim2462 Please could you provide your source that shows 'it's certainly common in the UK to be followed and tracked by your government'. I suspect it is fake news.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Tim2462  Speed test tools read your public ip address (the one issued to you by your isp) in order to get a general sense of your location, so the test can use a server in your general area. They do not store this data. 

You can see this if you use speedtest.net.  On the left, under the "go" button, you will see your provider, and your public ip address. On the right you will see the test server.

This data is cleared after you run the test. 

It doesn't make sense to me why a) M-Lab would require storing the data or b) why Airbnb would require one to log in with one's network credentials to run the test. 

Whatever the case, I'm not using the speed test tool. I put my average speed in my listing information.