Will Airbnb still give us 25% back if we give full refunds to guests who cancel up to May 31st?

Hollie6
Level 10
Page, AZ

Will Airbnb still give us 25% back if we give full refunds to guests who cancel up to May 31st?

I'm confused by the policy on this. I have some guests that Airbnb is giving full refunds to (up to May 31st) and some who don't get a full refund, then ask me to give them a full refund. I don't want to do that if Airbnb is not going to give the 25% refund. I think Airbnb may be hoping that I give a full refund, then they don't have to give the 25%.

Anyone have a better understanding of this?

Thank you~

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Hollie6 

I can't help with the differences in behaviour BUT I hope you realise that, unless the guest cancelled in the week before checkin you will only get 25% of 50% minus the cleaning fee.

I have a strict cancellations policy so I believe its different for me.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Hollie6

Your suspicions are entirely justified. Airbnb is underhandedly and unnecessarily routing guest cancellations and refund requests back to Hosts, under the pretext that they don't qualify for a full refund under COVID/EC - even when they absolutely do.

These requests invariably have one form or another of the "Issue Full Refund" button. Do NOT press this button, otherwise Airbnb will classify this as a "mutual cancellation, and this will disqualify you from receiving the promised 12.5% payout on that booking (while typically allowing Airbnb to collect their service charges also)

Simply tell the guest that they do qualify for a refund under the COVID policy, but you don't have their money to refund it, and send them right back to Airbnb and let them do their one job properly. 

Thats basically what I've been doing but didn't on a couple and feel like I was mislead.