Wired calls out Airbnb for "Hygiene Theater"

Chris773
Level 7
Branson, MO

Wired calls out Airbnb for "Hygiene Theater"

https://www.wired.com/story/its-time-to-talk-about-covid-19-and-surfaces-again/

>> It was also a way to show that they were doing something, Morris adds, even if it didn't do much. In July, The Atlantic’s Derek Thompson coined the term “hygiene theater” to describe the rash of corporate disinfection. It’s still around. It’s part of the reason why New York City has committed tens of millions of dollars to cleaning each subway car each night, why Airbnb requires “enhanced” cleaning from its landlords

Airbnb should consider this as they begin to enforce their new cleaning protocols, many of which aren't actually supported by the latest science. Mask-wearing and limiting the contact between hosts and guests to the absolute minimum: excellent. Disinfecting high-touch non-porous surfaces like light switches and remotes: good, although the risk is relatively low in the real world (the point of the article). Providing a clean environment for guests: a laudable goal, but one that has little bearing on COVID transmission. Requiring hosts to do silly things like launder curtains between every guest: ridiculous overkill and absolute "hygiene theater."

16 Replies 16
Michael-and-Shelly0
Level 6
St. Augustine, FL

Well Francesco, when you call someone out you should back it up with fact, or how about anything at all. A 2 year old says simply NO along with other one word denialism.  Let me help you out.  First, in your response... one "wrong" is plenty.  second your statement that "masks are useful as scientific literature says"  Could be technically correct. BUT  Useful?    for what, retarding bad breath maybe or prevention from inhaling dust or toxic pollutants.....for a reality check, C ovi d is key here.  I am talking About a Virus and the types of typical face masks people are running around with.  Is that clear? Then you rudely claim that I need to study better and stop spreading falsehoods.

With out going on for hours here, because I could....there is plenty! Here is a taste, that is all easily researched.

This past May the CDC published a paper stating, “Although mechanistic studies support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza."    The CDC recognizes that a multitude of  gold standard studies  that  show there is no effect in preventing the transmission of virus!    To be clear,  these studies on the efficacy of mask-wearing, especially for healthcare workers, have been published by CDC, New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, British Journal of Medicine, Nature, JAMA, PUB Med, and many other professional venues. Nearly all these studies, whether randomized control studies or clinical observational studies, find that mask-wearing to prevent transmission of infectious viruses is inconclusive at best, ineffective at worst.

I assume you know the significance of a randomized controlled study?

(one)

Cowling, B. et al. (2010) “Face masks to prevent transmission of influenza virus: A systematic review,” Epidemiology and Infection, 138(4), 449-456. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/epidemiology-and-infection/article/face-masks-to-prevent-tra...

None of the studies reviewed showed a benefit from wearing a mask, in either HCW or community members in households (H). See summary Tables 1 and 2 therein.

(two)

Off e d du, V. et al. (2017) “Effectiveness of Masks and Respirators Against Respiratory Infections in Healthcare Workers: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, Volume 65, Issue 11, 1 December 2017, Pages 1934–1942, https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/65/11/1934/4068747

“Self-reported assessment of clinical outcomes was prone to bias. Evidence of a protective effect of masks or respirators against verified respiratory infection (VRI) was not statistically significant”; as per Fig. 2c therein: 

I can go all day Francesco, but I hope you get the point, I dont need an apology. It is a difficult time as our leaders and corporate media are deceiving us. I cant be certain of what agenda may be at hand. BUT the confusion and fear that has been inculcated into society is criminal.  It is easy to be manipulated as you have been.    An environment Stress and anxiety have been cultivated, so let us remember how that adds to the problem.   Science has established since 1991 that psychological stress dramatically increases susceptibility to viral respiratory diseases, even in young healthy college-age subjects  you can read about that here... “Psychological Stress and Susceptibility to the Common Cold”, by Cohen, S et al., in The New England Journal of Medicine.

To finish

One Scientist put it like this.".. illustrates the degree to which governments, the mainstream media, and institutional propagandists can decide to operate in a science vacuum, or select only incomplete science that serves their interests. Such recklessness is also certainly the case with the current global lockdown of over 1 billion people, an unprecedented experiment in medical and political history." 

and airbnb falls into this category.

Stay strong

M

Chris773
Level 7
Branson, MO

It just keeps coming. Airbnb needs to drop its silly mandates.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/end-hygiene-theater/618576/