Would you change your countertops?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Would you change your countertops?

We do an improvement project at our cottage every year towards the fall but plan and budget at the beginning of the year. This year we are thinking about changing out our laminate countertops with some kind of natural stone or wood. I HATE our counters (surfaces for my friends in the UK)-- they came with the place. They have a faux granite look but a fancy edge that is hard to clean and does not go with the very rustic, boxy hand-built cabinets.

These counters are fine for guests because they can take a beating. Frankly, I don't care if they do. Looking at them drives me nuts and I would love to see something that works better with the unique vibe of our space. The pragmatic part of me says "they are good for guests who really could care less about our counters and won't take care of nicer ones." The aesthetic part of me says "NOOO! They are awful. It will look so much better with new ones!" I am not sure if our guest experience would be enhanced by nicer countertops in any way.

Would you bother to change counters in this situation? Or is this just me being wasteful on an element no one notices but me?

22 Replies 22
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Laura2592 

Why change them?  I love laminate. So easy to clean (except for your edge problem...)

Unlike stone or wood, laminate is "invisible". A laminate counter-top LOOKS like a counter-top.

Granite yells "Look at me! I'm special!"  Nevermind the increase in care.

Of course, I'm biased.  I just don't have tens of thousands of dollars burning a hole in my pocket 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  You use the cabin as well, right? I'd only shell out for a new countertop if you want it, not for guests. When you do eventually change them, I second Kelly's suggestion of concrete. They look great, at least to me, just in the natural grey cement color, which would go with your wood, or they can be done in colors. But really do a lot of research on them, and there would have to be someone in your area who knows how to do them properly- it's a pretty specialized skill.

@Sarah977  actually totally doable as a DIY. we poured our own concrete counters in our main house. Heavy and messy and time consuming, but from an actual skill level... easier than most tile projects.

and it's a solid surface for a fraction of the cost of stone

@Kelly149  Yes, my whole house is concrete and while my kitchen counters are tiled, the bathroom has concrete. I didn't do it myself, but all the Mexican workers know how to do this, although some are masters and some really aren't, and the result can be not that great.

But certainly, it's something you could do yourself by reading up on it and I imagine you had some experience working with cement and concrete? I don't know how many people would tackle it themselves, like you said, heavy, messy and time-consuming, but it can be done if there's interest.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Laura2592Wait until your countertops get damaged or worn out. Senseless replacing something in good condition. Plus stone is very unforgiving and guests are clumsy with dishes. 

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jennifer1421 @Laura2592

To those hosts that say stone takes a bit of looking after.....rubbish, if you have stone it will outlast you, you can't scratch it with a knife, you can't burn it......about the only thing you could do to it is smash it with a sledge hammer!

41 b.jpg

We have black granite counter top in our house, and after a decade of putting boiling saucepans, using it as a chopping block, a meat tenderizer, pouring all manner of liquid onto it, slicing through God knows how many vegetables and cuts of meat, thoroughly abusing it.....it still looks like new, not a mark of any description on the counter anywhere. 

If your 'stone' countertop needs love and care, you do not have a stone countertop, you have some commercial substitute which in reality is little different from a timber laminate! 

But having said that, there is a countertop protector on the market that comes in 2 ft x 9 ft rolls. This protector will take a lot of punishment and I have used this to great effect on my cottage pine kitchen countertop. 

These pictures don't show it well but, for effect, as it shows on stone better than on the pine, here is our granite kitchen bench without the protector. .......

CAM02462.jpg

and here it is with a well used protector......

CAM02463.jpg

Sure the protector has a few cuts and marks in it but the stone still shows through and the countertop stays in pristine condition! 

The cost of a 3 mtr by 600mm roll was about $65 AU which is thousands of dollars cheaper than replacing a damaged countertop!

But my point is, if a salesman tell you your stone benchtop needs regular maintenance, leave immediately and find another supplier who is prepared to sell you genuine stone....you won't be disappointed! 

@Laura2592 's point is correct though, stone is rather unforgiving and where glass and ceramics are concerned you do need to be just a bit more careful!

Cheers......Rob

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Laura2592 I have granite in all three of my spaces (way nicer than my own kitchen.) It is indestructible unless a guest bashes it in with a hammer. It is so easy to clean and always looks clean (even if it isn't.)

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi Laura, I definitely like aesthetically pleasing finishes and I'd also be very tempted to change the countertops. I would first consider items that would increase your nightly rate or if it would increase your properties value and also evaluate how long it would take to pay for it. An option would be to increase your rate but a few dollars to cover the cost. The good thing about your property is that it looks rugged with natural materials so the necessity is less compared to lets say a modern loft. They do have thinner stone counter tops that are more of a cover that solid stone which maybe an option. I do think it's always a good idea to refresh your space through out the year though.