Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Would you change your countertops?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Would you change your countertops?

We do an improvement project at our cottage every year towards the fall but plan and budget at the beginning of the year. This year we are thinking about changing out our laminate countertops with some kind of natural stone or wood. I HATE our counters (surfaces for my friends in the UK)-- they came with the place. They have a faux granite look but a fancy edge that is hard to clean and does not go with the very rustic, boxy hand-built cabinets.

These counters are fine for guests because they can take a beating. Frankly, I don't care if they do. Looking at them drives me nuts and I would love to see something that works better with the unique vibe of our space. The pragmatic part of me says "they are good for guests who really could care less about our counters and won't take care of nicer ones." The aesthetic part of me says "NOOO! They are awful. It will look so much better with new ones!" I am not sure if our guest experience would be enhanced by nicer countertops in any way.

Would you bother to change counters in this situation? Or is this just me being wasteful on an element no one notices but me?

22 Replies 22
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have bamboo worktops and have had wooden worktops before. I wouldn't have them in a whole listings, guests put hot items down and scratch/mark the surfaces. Better to use a more scratch resistant material. @Laura2592 

@Helen3 yeah I had not considered bamboo. Interesting thought-- a sustainable material like that certainly has appeal. But durability would be an issue with careless guests. 

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Laura2592I'd caution you to make sure that you do your research very carefully on the different types of surfaces. Natural stone is very attractive, initially, but does require a great deal of after-market care - such as re-sealing on a regular basis. Some are very soft, or very porous, making them a poor choice for "not so cautious" users. Many of the different options have different drawbacks to them. Some are very heat resistant while others are not at all. Most require sealing or sanding and sealing. Usually material other than arborite are very expensive - both in up front costs, and to keep looking good after installation.

I'm interested to know what you ultimately decide!

@Jennifer1421,  yes we have quartz in both our primary house and in ou non-Airbnb rentals which was chosen because of looks and durability/ease of care. I don't know that I would want that in our cottage as it doesn't "go" with the aesthetic but you are right-- some stone is a nightmare of maintenance. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

While I wouldn't love them in my own house (in which I live), I certainly wouldn't be shelling out on something new. Get over it, @Laura2592 🙂

PS. IMO, you have way too many photos!

@Gordon0  ...wow. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Wow what, @Laura2592? You saw the smiley, right?

She didn't ask for advice on photos - if someone doesn't ask for your opinion...don't give it 🙂 🙂 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Note to self, @Danielle476: don't try and be helpful. It seems feedback isn't a gift after all. 

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Laura2592 

Your counter top looks fine in the pictures. So unless you really want to invest in new ones I would leave them be. They are more than fine for a guest cottage.

I have granite in my kitchen and the guest area. I love the stone and wouldn't trade it for anything different. We don't seal the stone down here so there is no extra maintenance.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Lovely cottage! I'd leave the countertops. It could become a total kitchen reno once you start. As @Gordon0 says, lots of photos. 30 is enough for most listings but if you stick with 55, make sure the important ones come early as guests won't necessarily look through all. 

@Sandra126 Thanks so much! We actually get a lot of guests telling us that they appreciate the very thorough representation in the pics, and that they made them feel the place was extremely well described and accurate. Most people won't read but will look at pics. But this brings me to another idea-- maybe someone should start a thread where people are posting who are looking for a listing critique? Other hosts can give guidance. Just a thought!

Erica266
Level 5
Ushuaia, Argentina

I see what you mean, your place looks lovely! Some wood its going to be lovely,
No, it wont change anything with the guests.
But is your place and if you like to do it you should do it regardless of the profit.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 how handy are you? What about an ardex overlay or pour cast concrete counters? (new look, way less $$)

I wouldn't put anything nice into ABB space (if you were moving in full-time right now, then sure).

what about changing yucky laminate for an unobtrusive laminate? (again, new look but less $$)

and, yes, changing any element often turns into a "didn't know that also needing fixing"  or "wow, that new granite makes xxxxxx look so scruffy" and/or a "well, so long as we're here we might as well do this other thing too"