Your views on accommodating guests with fragrance or chemical sensitivities?

Susan612
Level 8
United States

Your views on accommodating guests with fragrance or chemical sensitivities?

Here is how @Fred13 sees it 

FB4F719F-BFA3-4F71-8ECB-D85004AEEDC7.jpeg

13 Replies 13
Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Susan612,

I have listings that are located on a small island that is unlikely to have many specialty items to address some requests, or there is a prohibitive cost and time element to obtain them.  Depending upon the depth of the request, I would try to accommodate a person with fragrance and chemical sensitivities/allergies if doing so is within my means, or try to work out alternative options.  For example, I may suggest that the guest bring their specific hypoallergenic laundry and cleaning products, and offer to (or tell them) launder the linens and towels upon their arrival.  All of my suites also have compact washing machines so the guest could wash smaller items for themselves during their stay, and the apartment has a full-size washer.

However, I do think that a guest who is traveling internationally, especially to a developing country, has a responsibility to find out and understand that all of the accoutrements they are used to are not going to be available to cater to their requests, and must show some willingness to be self-sufficient to make a space work for them.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Susan612 Our current guests asked that no air fresheners or scented candles be in the apartment. We don't use these so it was an easy request to comply with. To go much further would just be too difficult as we use an external launderette and have no control over their detergents etc.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This is that handicap's person private comment, the public one is now up and is the most recent one for our place (Bird Island).

Vanessa’s private feedback for you:

“Fred and Ruth, I have been putting off writing a review because I don't even know how to articulate what a wonderful week we had. Thank you for your hospitality and for making this wonderful place available. I can't wait to come back!”

We can't wait to have her back for she was indeed a ray of sunshine.

@Fred13  Nice!  Now where's your review of her?  She sounds like she deserves a rave.  🙂

@Fred13 @Do you consider fragrance and chemical sensitivities a handicap? 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

What's your point @Susan612?  That some hosts don't want to hear it?  Simple solution - find someplace else to stay.  Don't like a TV show?  Stop watching it.  Don't like a book?  Put it down - no one's making you finish it.  Don't like it when the French correct your French?  Don't go to France!  Airbnb accommodations come in every shape and form and so do Airbnb hosts.  Ask what you need to ask with the understanding that sometimes you'll hear the word "no."  And that will make your decision easy.

@Ann72 @When you state above "that some hosts don't want to hear it" I am not clear on what you are referring to that some hosts don't want to hear. Would you be willing to clarify? 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Susan612  Fragrance and chemical sensitivities are subjective and individualized, and that means I would not feel confident being able to ever say our property was 'fragrance or chemical free'.  Steps, widths, rooms can be measured, various other tools used by the disabled either are, or are not present.  Fragrance and the presence of chemicals are not straightforward.  

I'm curious about OP starting a thread using someone else's post.  I would find that intimidating.

@Mark116 I wasn't asking about declaring a listing fragrance or chemical free. I was asking about hosts naming accommodations for guests with fragrance and chemical sensitivities 

regarding starting the thread with @Fred13  post, the moderator closed the conversation where that was originally posted.  I had asked her to reopen the conversation (I the opportunity to create discussion around  @Fred13 post. She advised me to start a new thread.  I was not intending to be intimidating and considering it was a public post and not from private messaging I was not aware that anyone would have issues with it. Apologies if it was an issue for anyone 

@Susan612   I'm not getting the difference.

@Mark116 @ I didn't mean to use the word naming .... this thread was started to get a sense of how people feel about making accommodations for people with chemical and fragrance sensitivity.  

@Susan612  I guess it would depend on the accommodation that was requested. 

In general, as I already said, I don't feel it is something that a host could comfortably offer with confidence, because it is too subjective. 

Stuff must be cleaned, in fact nearly every surface and item in an Airbnb must be cleaned every time, outside of upholstered furniture and drapes.  Cleaners, even organic and natural cleaners, still have 'chemicals' and scents, so it seems an impossible task.  There is also the issue that even if a host would agree to clean the property using organic/natural/'scent free' products, there can still be residue from previous cleanings.  Lastly, at least in my experience, sometimes a harsh cleaner is needed to get a particular stain out of something.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

recently in another space discussing guest requests someone called these people "milk and cookies", meaning if you offer them the milk they ask for, when they turn up they'll ask where are the cookies. I'm curious how these types manage to function once they step outside their own doors, let alone travel to another city/state or country. 

I've stayed in an airbnb where the host told us to avoid wearing synthetic fragrances. !! I found it easy enough to comply with but thought it was most odd.