cancellation

Liz689
Level 2
Sint Maarten, Sint Maarten

cancellation

Hi everyone,

I am really upset and really don't know what to do anymore.  I have an issue with a  reservation from 2-8 January.

On the 2nd of January I received this message from the guest:

We ended up checking out. The keys have been left in the lockbox. The residence has been left the same way we found it (we never even unpacked).

The residence was not the same as the airbnb listing portrayed and there were a number of issues.

We opened a cancellation ticket with Airbnb because we feel we deserve a full refund given the issues and inconsistencies.

I asked the guest what the problem was, but he never responded. So I really did not know what the issue was neither did I was given the opportunity to solve the issue. During the 2-8 Jan. my calender was blocked so I did not have the chance to offer it to anyone else

The next thing  is a message I receive from AirBNB support on the 10th of January. The Bold Italic underneath is what AirBNB support wrote. The normal characters my questions

I’m reaching out because XXX  has sent us documents that shows in accuracy of the listing most especially the beds. We need your help to find a solution for this issue and any upcoming reservations it may impact. 

I am still very confused about this, since the beds are connected with a foam bedconnector (officially called "a twin to king converterkit") the bedlinnen is
therefore also kingsize.  Now I updated my listing to 2 single beds. Is there another solution for this?

I’ve updated the reservation check out date to today, and we've given  XXX  a full refund because he did not stay at your place.

I find it weird that Airbnb support updated the reservation check out date. So the calender got unblocked by them on the 10th therfore I did not have a chance to rent my place out to anyone else.  But it states in my account that I cancelled this reservation. Which I did not do., since I did not know why the guest was unhappy

I also think it is weird the guest received a full refund by the Support Center without even asking my side of the story. ( I have been hosting since 2015 and have only top reviews and have been superhost most of the time)

To help protect you and your future guests, we’ve temporarily paused your listing, XXXXX  until you take some additional actions. While your listing is paused, you'll still host your guests for any confirmed reservations, but you won't be able to receive new reservations.

So  my listing has been paused since the 10th of January, I change my listing in 2 single beds. up until now the Support Center has not been in touch anymore and do not respond to my messages....

To reactivate your listing, you’ll need to

- update its description with the correct information. It say's on the listing description it's King's beds but it shows two single bed put together. 

Which I did immediately

If you don’t reach out to them within the next week, we may have to take additional action on your account–including the removal of your xxxxx from the Airbnb platform.

I did reach out to them,  once I received their message, however they never responden tot my mail.  Would anyone know why I should reach out to them now?

This whole issue makes me feel very vulnerable, 

We appreciate that situations like this aren’t the norm, but we’d encourage you to check out our hosting standards so that you can be better prepared for them. Our hosting standards are a set of guidelines to help Hosts provide their guests with a positive and consistent travel experience with each Airbnb reservation. You can read more about them at:

Thanks for any insight on this whole issue, I am not sure what to do else.

Kind regards,

liz

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Liz689 

Airbnb cancelled the reservation on your behalf, it means it is considered as a cancellation made by the host. Which comes with penalties, like permanently blocking the dates of the reservation and more...

You need to inform Airbnb of the changes you made to the listing and ask them to undo the suspension.

This is the way the company nowadays communicates to their hosts. Get used to it.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Liz689   You have a lovely place.  I would suggest that you take a picture of the bedroom with the two beds made up as singles, slightly apart, and then again made up as a king bed.   I know that my husband and I would be disappointed to find that the king bed is really two beds put together; we expect it on a cruise ship, but not at a home.  This does not mean that you should rush out to buy a new bed, just make it clear on the listing.  

May I also suggest that you add some soft items to your pictures (the bathroom is very austere).

I am sorry that your guests were so picky and unable to adapt.   AirBnB CS is not host friendly.