claiming against insurance for lost income whilst property damaged

Danica33
Level 1
Noosa Heads, Australia

claiming against insurance for lost income whilst property damaged

Hi hosts

Help!!!!

Does anyone know how I can claim against my own insurer (not Airbnb) for income I've lost due to being unable to take Airbnb bookings during a period my property was un-rentable, due to storm damage and the time taken to repair the damage? My insurance company is telling me I need to provide a lease agreement to claim for lost rental income but obviously we don't get individual lease agreements from every Airbnb guest....or do we? In legal terms, are guests entering into a "lease agreement" when they book and agree to our terms, or when they join Airbnb, or are we, when we as hosts join Airbnb? I read somewhere, that our contract with Airbnb is essentially like a lease agreement, so I'm looking for something to support that. Can anyone help me?

I'd be so grateful for some assistance with this.

Thank you.

Danica

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Danica33 I would give them a screenshot of your reservations page showing the cancelled reservations.

Alternatively show them the revenue for the same period last year and say that you expected the same this year.

Alternatively, and probably first,  have a good read of the policy and see what it says with respect to lost revenue. Our policy is quite prescriptive in this.

Finally I have no idea how Australia works but if you have an Ombudsman like we have in the UK then threaten them with this as it costs them a lot just to have a case raised against them.

When reading the policy ensure you read the definitions carefully as a lot of critical detail is often in them.

Thanks Mike and Jo

I have done all of the above and to me, seems quote clear in my policy that I'm covered for lost rental income, however they are arguing this 😞

Thanks for your suggestions though 🙂

Hi https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/944166

did you ever find any info on this?  I am going thru the same thing now!

any info appreciated!

@Danica33 

did you ever find any info on this?  I am going thru the same thing now!

any info appreciated!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why don't you ask your insurer @Michelle3146 

@Helen3 thanks for the reply-as I said- I am going thru the same exact thing as Danika-so have already done this as she had…which is why I reached out/posted.  

Hi Michelle

After many months of back-and-forth and arguing with the insurer, we did manage to establish that their policy does not require a lease agreement as they said it does however they argued that the policy was not designed to cover lost rent in this way so I ended up out of pocket and was not covered for the lost rent during the time my Airbnb‘s were not able to be rented. I have since moved to a different insurer and clarified the subject of lost rent with them before taking out the policy. I went through a broker who looked at several insurance companies and in the end was unable to find anyone who would cover lost rent for Airbnb  so I have had to accept that that is something I am exposed to without insurance coverage. If you or anyone have been able to find insurance that will cover this, please let me know!! 

@Danica33 We have a policy with Terry Scheer and  claimed loss of rent during the bushfires but our property was managed by a local agency at the time. 

Thanks for the follow up and info. I see air bnb now has host coverage however it’s only for actual bookings that get canceled at the time of damage.  If I find any more info I’ll let you know- thanks again!!

Michelle