dealing with Airbnb Resolution NIGHTMARE. please help!

Hunter17
Level 1
Portland, OR

dealing with Airbnb Resolution NIGHTMARE. please help!

kitchen4.jpgkitchen3.jpgliving room.jpgkitchen1.jpgburn.jpggarbage.jpg

So I had a guest stay for over a month (it was actual her husband that she was divorcing but I didnt know this until after he checked in).

He left the place in complete shambles (see pictures above). wife said she would pay for everything, and she was totally sorry, (see screenshots above) but when I filed an actual report she made up tons of lies, blamed me that it looked like that when she arrived (she was never even there, plus im a super host when a 5 when is comes to clean).

I start the resolution process, but its been a complete nightmare. I started the claim the morning he husband left and I saw all the damages (main one being burn marks on the counter which I got an estimate of $1500 to replace)

the runaround starts now. I am bombarded with about 15 different people telling me they would be handling my claim (all overseas, all saying they can only talk between the hours of 12am-8am (see screenshots). the time I do stay up late to answer one of their calls, they are just completely silent. I tried to call back the number, no reply.

so now they are saying they have denied my claim because its been over 30 days and I have not supplied them with photos or documentation ( again I uploaded and filed everything the next day) and now I cant get in touch with ANYONE.

can someone please help me? the obvious run around and lack of being able to contact anyone who actually can help is driving me nuts, and these people (and airbnb) have completely taken advantage of my situation.

thank your reading.

**[Conversation with CS removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Hunter17 I am afraid they will also deny your claim as they do not cover 3rd party bookings.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Hunter17 They will also likely deny your claim because the photos do not show any damage! Re-arranging the pots & pans & the furniture is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things..... 

The un-housetrained, soon-to-be-ex-husband probably thought he'd made a good effort, bless him!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Hunter17 normally I am staunchly on the side of hosts but this looks like your guest tried to wash dishes and clean up. I don't see the "trashed" kitchen. I see the normal consequences of a long stay where someone has dug into the space and has to leave after.

Perhaps re-think long term hosting so that you can spend more time checking between guests? Other than the burn mark which is annoying but minor, I don't see anything I wouldn't just clean up. Score this guest accordingly and move on. Limit your stays so that guests have less time to do damage and you have more opportunities to check on the space and correct any issues. Good luck.

ETA-- Yikes on your response to "Natalia"-- I would amend that if possible. Its probably best to say something like " Natalia booked this space for her husband who did not clean it before exiting or follow house rules. When I asked Natalia to help compensate me for the extra cleaning and damage, she agreed but later reneged. Her review does not reflect an experience at my space, and I will be very careful in the future to ensure I do not unwittingly accept third party bookings for this reason. I wish her the best and any future guests who are concerned about this review should explore the rest of my feedback."

Don't let this trigger your emotional response. Be professional and factual. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Laura2592  I actually like @Hunter17 's reply to the lying review. It would not put me off staying with him, it does not make him look bad, only upset. And I can understand him being upset, tho' I originally thought no actual damage was done, just untidiness. I guess a burnt worktop would cost, if too unsightly to leave/scrub out....

@Helen350  I never think its a good idea to call a guest a liar publicly, even if they are. 

I would be put off by the response.  I am sure not everyone would, but if I am paying for a place to stay and there is a misunderstanding, I want assurance that my host is even-handed. I don't want to stay with someone who let being upset color any public messages. I have had some really interesting guests, but no matter how annoyed I was, I would not let my future guests see me react with anger or name calling. But that is me. 

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

@Hunter17, it's understandable that you're so upset. You feel that you got shafted twice - once by the guest and then by airbnb's customer service folks - and from the look of things you're not likely to get any satisfactory resolution.

I was looking at your listing and couldn't find any mention re third party bookings.  You could add something about that in your welcome message &/or house rules, e.g., no third-party bookings/third party bookings will not be accepted (words to that effect).