extra guest fees to reduce listed rate

Rachel3012
Level 1
Lincoln, Canada

extra guest fees to reduce listed rate

Hello, I began hosting this summer and had a great response as we are fully booked june/jul/aug

we prices a bit below the market in our area to get bookings and reviews. We have 14 reviews and all are 5 star so we are confident we are on the right course. 

one thing I've realized recently is that our local hosts are listing rates for 1 or 2 guests then adding extra guest fees. this can more than double their listed rate. 

I understand why this makes sense but I am listing next to these hosts for our area and may be losing fair comparisons as a result. Also, is this an annoyance for guests? or is this just standard practice and everybody is used to it?

does anyone have some insight or suggestions on how I should be approaching extra guest fees vs base listed rate to improve search hits? 

I have 6 guest 2 bdrm plus sofa bed

any insights are appreciated! thank you

2 Replies 2

Hi Rachel,

Congratulations on your successful start with Airbnb hosting! It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job, especially with securing consistent bookings and earning top-notch reviews.

Adding extra guest fees is indeed a common practice among hosts, and it serves multiple purposes. It allows you to price fairly based on usage since fewer guests generally mean less wear and tear, utilities used, and cleaning required. This strategy can make your listing more attractive to smaller groups or couples who otherwise might not consider a larger space due to cost.

By displaying a lower base rate, your listing may appear more competitive in initial searches, drawing more viewers. Most seasoned Airbnb travelers are familiar with the concept of additional fees for extra guests. However, it’s crucial that these fees are clearly disclosed in your listing description to avoid any surprises that could lead to dissatisfaction and potentially negative reviews.

Since local hosts are using a tiered pricing model, it might be beneficial for you to consider a similar structure. You can set a base rate for 1-2 guests and then add incremental fees for additional guests. This can help keep your initial rates competitive while also covering costs associated with larger groups.

Make sure the pricing breakdown is clearly communicated in your listing. Highlight the value provided for the extra cost, such as additional amenities, space, or services that come into play with more guests. Consider running promotions or adjusting your extra guest fees based on seasonality, demand, and feedback from your guests. Tracking the impact of these changes on your bookings and reviews can help refine your approach.

For guests who inquire before booking, consider using Airbnb’s "Special Offer" feature. This lets you adjust the price based on their specific needs and can be a great way to secure a booking directly. Keep gathering feedback from your guests regarding your pricing structure. Direct insights from them can guide you in making your listing as appealing as possible.

By considering these aspects, you can maintain a competitive edge while ensuring your pricing structure meets your business goals and guest expectations. Keep up the great work, and I hope your hosting continues to thrive!

All the best,

Upfish Management

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Rachel3012 

Just interesting 

Someone answering a post about Guests bring more people than booked explained she is in a beach area so high and low season,  She explained how she set up her listing in the high season has a flat rate but during low season she priced per person maybe you are seeing others doing that process. She had 2 listings and just blocked the calendars,

She mentioned since a large house she priced a higher couple rate than a small apartment but being a little on the expensive side also the Guests were less problems.

I have also seen posts where the Host has electronic locks on the bedrooms and they are able to have 3 listings 1 bedroom price 2 bedroom price and the 3 bedroom price