guest violates rules but service centre issue full refund

Brian2430
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

guest violates rules but service centre issue full refund

I just had a bad experience with Airbnb superhost service would Iike to share with you guys.

I had a booking from Aug 6 - 11, 2 people living. On Aug 5, the guest texted me if he can put a foldable bed or live in my living room. I declined because I also live in the house and have another roommate, it's definitely inappropriate. Then the guest requested a full refund, I said I can consider a partial refund as courtesy, you can't cancel it at the last minute to get a full refund.  The guest seemed unhappy and then blackmailed me: if you didn't give me full refund, I will leave a bad comment to you! I contacted Airbnb superhost service, the lady told me any review will be removed because he threatened me. So I kept his reservation.

After he checked in for a few hours, I found there were 3 people living in the house, but my house rule is a maximum of 2 people and he also booked 2!  We had an argument about this, the guest yelled: what's the **bleep**ing problem with our 3 people living in one room?!  I contacted Airbnb Superhost service again regarding the guest's violation to get some help. A few hours later, I found the guest's reservation was canceled and the guest with another 2 people moved out.

Today I checked my account, I was so surprised that the guest got a full refund!  He lived in my house for half day, used bedding, and towels, and violate house rules (booked 2 people but lived 3 people without telling me earlier or permission), but he got full refund!  I contacted Airbnb Superhost service center to ask why he got full refund? why no one asked me? but the superhost service looks like a robot, continue said I'm really sorry but I can't do anything.

19 Replies 19
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Brian2430 

This may sound a bit harsh, but from experience as a Superhost with Airbnb, I do not rely or accept at face value the hype.  Remember that Airbnb is a self proclaimed tech company that puts together multitudes of hosts and guests.  They also facilitate the payment system.  Outside of that, do not expect anything else.  It is ultimately the hosts responsibility to manage their listing and guests.

Best wishes in your hosting journeys.

I know about that. The truth is the guest got extra people living without informing me. So I have to ask superhost service to let the guest to leave. The service did cancelled the reservation and asked guest to leave, but didn’t ask my permission to full refund. In my case, it’s the guest violates my home rules, the guest should take some penalty, right?

@Brian2430 the guest does not directly attract any penalty for violation of house rules.The only time house rules are important is not when you want to cancel but when the guest cancels themselves, and requests a refund. The guests theoretically never cancel because they broke the rules, but because you called them out on it ,and they went for you and thought they deserved a refund and a change of venue. You cannot win because the Agents have to deal with who rings them first, and against their own rules they side with the guest without ringing the host as they are supposed to or they accept that the guest has already tried to reason with the unreasonable host . You cannot win.Please check the guests out and talk with them and ask for  ids 'of all adult guests' before they arrive .and cross your fingers H

Never ring them if you can help it

It’s me calling Airbnb service centre regarding the guest’s violation and ask for advise. Then no one replaying message until I saw ‘the reservation canceled by Airbnb’ and guests moved out. I didn’t know the guests got full refund until one week later when I was checking my account balance.