Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

host demanded more money

Elise372
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

host demanded more money

Does anyone have a suggestion on ways to receive a refund? We had the worst experience (and our first) with Airbnb. Our host insisted in sending an additional four page lease (outside of Airbnb) that she required us to sign. Her exact words for why she needed to use my personal email are “We could not send it here, AirBnb will not approve it.” This lease was sent at 11:55pm on the last day that we would have been eligible for a partial refund. That gave us five minutes to read and sign her additional lease. This was one week prior to stay check-in. In the lease she required an additional $650 security deposit and $59 renters insurance, outside of the Airbnb rate.

Also there were many inconsistences in the language of her lease, which gave us considerable hesitation. She clearly knew that what she was asking us to do was against Airbnb policy, and a direct violation of the contract we signed with Airbnb. Interactions with our host left us feeling so uncomfortable and pressured, that we didn’t feel safe enough to check-in. The host refused any refund at all despite the fact that her last minute lease agreement was the cause of our hesitation. We had paid in full, and lost our entire reservation cost!

Airbnb refused to allow us out of our contract. They stated because she changed her mind, and said we no longer needed to pay the extra fees, she was meeting their standards. They made it clear that we would be held responsible for charges. I appreciate any help you can give. Needless to say, this has been a horrible first experience!

Thanks

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Elise372 It really annoys me when dreadful hosts like this let down the majority who are good. You can do 3 things - Firstly PLEASE leave a review for this host stating exactly what they did to you. Keep it polite and they won't get it deleted. Secondly you could go Small Claims Court route to try and get Airbnb to refund you. Finally you can hope that the head of global hosting comes good based on the message below.

@Catherine-Powell This is the sort of thing that gives Airbnb a bad name. I am amazed that Airbnb didn't properly punish this host and refund the guest. Perhaps they are a big business host that Airbnb don't want to upset.

@Elise372   I've also been in this situation, although due to the host's cancellation policy I only lost the Service Fee. Not a huge amount, but it still stung a bit that Airbnb retained its cut on a booking that failed due to dodgy host behavior. 

Did the host's previous reviews make any mention of this situation with the contract and deposit? It would be surprising if you were the first guest who objected.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Elise372 I'm so sorry you encountered such an unscrupulous host... but why did you not simply refuse to sign the lease, and continue with the reservation? The host would have had to either cancel, incurring significant penalties and giving you a full refund, or host you as scheduled, with no lease.

In any case, this host is violating Airbnb terms of service and you would do well to report the host and the listing in hopes of preventing future guests from having this bad experience:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/4/how-does-airbnb-help-build-trust-between-hosts-and-guests

Andries10
Level 2
Haarlem, Netherlands

I'm here with a similar story. I've been a airbnb guest since 2012 with nothing but good experiences and high reviews.

A host has harassed me outside the airbnb  platform in clear violation of the terms of service by asking me for more money post booking under no refund, deliberately after taking the effort to add my number as a whatsapp contact so there wouldn't be a trace on the airbnb servers. And he knew what he was doing with no refund in place in my reservation. With refund I would have cancelled of course. I couldn't now.

I refused, told him I was very uncomfortable and asked him to cancel. I did this because I felt harassed and scammed. He refused to cancel.

Luckily for me, I thought, I'm protected by the terms of use of airbnb. As a tech provider myself, I know how important these documents are. As stated in the airbnb terms, it is irrelevant whether an off platform demand of more money happens before or after signing. It is not allowed. And I naively thought that that the airbnb terms are enforced very strictly to protect trust, the core value underlying a transaction that involves inviting and being guests in other people's homes.

I contacted support, send them screenshots with proof, they reached out to the host, he wished to uphold the contract. And airbnb was 'very sorry' but needed the hosts consent for reimbursement. I pointed to my violated trust, to the ethical standards of the host and again to the terms. Same answer.

So... What is airbnb exactly when you take away the legal role in the transaction? Such as not enforcing their own terms of service?

Those terms are to protect both parties in the exchange, in the end because the airbnb service is about a transaction that allows guests to feel welcome and safe, to as they claim in their mission 'belong anywhere'.

I will not feel welcome. My wife won't feel welcome. We as guests with two young children of 5 and 2 will not feel welcome and safe with a host that has tried to scam us with our back against the wall. We will not feel as if we 'belong at his house', let alone 'belong anywhere''. We will feel coerced into staying with an untrustworthy individual who has clearly behaved unethically, of which we have clear proof. How can we, while we are there, know that he won't try to scam us again? Will try to add vague additional costs and demand extra payment? Cash? Why wouldn't he, it's clear that he does not care about the airbnb policies he is bound to.

And what about airbnb? Will we be protected by our service provider? Just like we are now?

The unwillingness of airbnb to acknowledge the gravity of his harassment after signing and repeated fallback on the same script: 'we need the hosts consent for reimbursement... We understand that this is not what you expected.' is mindblowing.

To be clear: it's not a trick, we will still go, but to another place, probably not booked through airbnb. I can't go to his with my young children. Even if it would cost me. But I think it should not. As I told support, I will not let go.

@Catherine-Powell can you help me? What should I do?

Hugo633
Level 2
West Palm Beach, FL

I really hope they can fix this for you. Hosts like himself ruin it for all of us.

How did you and the host exchange numbers? Was it through the reservation chat? and, did he/she provide his number or did you provide yours? The problem is even if you have proof from a "number" demanding more money, AirBnB cannot tie that number to host's account. At least, not directly. However, if he did share his number through the AirBnB platform, you may have some fighting power. 

If AirBnb does not support you, you can potentially open a claim with your credit card or bank company and have them investigate the situation. The last resort should be a small claims court, but I'm sure it will be a bit more costly. 

If I was in that situation, I would still proceed to stay on his/her property and provide the host with a polite and detailed negative review that will impact his/her business. But, that's me as I feel the scam will not go passed this argument. 

Regardless, if AirBnB refuses to help, do not cancel the reservation from your end and let the reservation go ride out. This will result in two things. 1) he can't rebook those days potentially scamming someone else and, 2) you can leave your polite review. If your review is disrespectful, it may get deleted. Meanwhile, proceed with option 2. 

C. Brothers Property Management, llc

@Hugo633  Hosts' and guests' phone numbers are visible to each other as soon as a booking is confirmed. There is no need to share it nor ask for it. 

Thank you John and Sarah,

Indeed, he took my number from my profile. To be clear: I don't have or ever had an issue with that. For communication, especially abroad with roaming costs, it's actually very handy to communicate pickup etc through phone! Then it makes sense to go away from the platform. 

My issue is that that this did not have anything to do with me navigating through airports or Google maps. This was a request for more money. After he already secured most of it. Imagine a hotel would do that on the second day you would pick up your key at the desk?

As for proof: he send a screenshot of the invoice from the platform, claiming a mistake had been made. Smoking gun I would say.

Thank you for your tips John. I know I will have a bad week there if I go, being constantly afraid that I or my kids will break a cup, that will inevitably turn out to be a family heirloom. Trust is the basis and it is broken. I will not cancel and will write a polite disappointed review in any case.

I just really hope that airbnb won't let me bleed a thousand euros for my reasonable principles that just happen to be perfectly aligned their own terms of service and mission statement.