innocent tourette syndrome and social discrimination.

innocent tourette syndrome and social discrimination.

Hello to everybody I would have a question, i suffer of this **bleep** syndrome (and I accept it happily because on the world there are billions of more serious diseases where people die for it) that brings me to issue some vocal noises (not so strong, just as the intensity of the  noise or maybe something more  than the noise produced from many people while  they sleep, the snore). I have of course the right to travel  as other people, I'm totally normal except this problem (I got a degreee in electronical engineering too), I wanted to know your opinion about this problem,. Are there many host ready to guest me despite and with this problem? I have written to an host, before reserve, explaining the problem and he gently has refused my reservation explainig me that i can damage other customers. But I wouldn't damage much more than how much a people with snore do. There are many innocent people with the problem of snore that "disturb" as me and are accepted. My problem is not in the breath but in my mind, the level of the disturb is comparable sometime with a strong snore sometime with a light snore. Thank for all the gentle people that will answer me.

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Marco3258 

I would be happy to host someone with your condition. Perhaps look for hosts that only offer one room in their home or a self-contained listing. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marco3258  It's great that you disclose your condition to hosts- it's important to do upfront even though it might cause some hosts to decline, because you want to make sure the place and host will be a good fit for you. 

The same would hold true for people who are autistic or have some other condition that can affect how one is perceived. While a guest may be reticent to disclose their condition, and are not legally required to, it's much better to find a listing which will be open to the guest's condition than to say nothing and have the host think a guest is just really odd, crazy, dangerous, or in the  case of some autistics, unfriendly or rude, just because they're unable to pick up on social cues or personal boundaries.

I don't often disagree with Helen, but in this case I do. While some home-share hosts will be open and accepting to you, as she says she would be, you will likely have better luck to book self- contained units where your uncontrollable outbursts, while harmless ( I know what Tourette's is), won't possibly disturb other people.

It's not great, just normal, ask because I know that I could disturb and this is the last thing that I want,  I wanna just enjoy the short vacation (max 7 days) and there are a lot of innocent people too that suffer of snore while I don't and they disturb a lot too,. 

Of course i never would sleep in a dormitory with 10 people (and this is already unright because here too sometime arrive people with snore problem!  usually dormitory are much cheaper and don't be able  to use it is unright , I think), I would choose a single room just for me  and well closed. Take an entire home is much expnsive and i found it just for a month not max for 7 days.

I will ask for the existence of a mask that block my mouth and the noises that it produces at least when I sleep so also wanting I can' t do noises 🙂 and I will return in the dormitory one second just before sleep and just to sleep so i talk with nobody, I just block my mouth and sleep.

When my mom suffered of strong snore (as many that go in the BNB too) I never accused her or forced her to move in other room. I used earplug and I stopped to hear her. I live close an home with a train railways close and the train horn kills me in late night too and the society allows all this, of course not legal. I think that everybody when go in Hotel, mostly dormitory,  should always keep with him a pair of good earplug (so as you do with the umbrella) so in the case you use it (note that despite those earplugs instead i continue to be disturbed from the incredibly powerfull train horn).

Then nobody is perfect, you can sometime meet people that smell of alcohol and this is strongly disturbing. I have read of feet smell to around the dormitory more than sometime. I can't respond for my disturb, who use much alcohol yes or much more than me..

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Marco3258 Unfortunately Tourette’s  Syndrome is often not recognised by so many people.   My first husband (sadly now deceased) suffered from this dreadfully.  He had tablets, and although they helped a lot they did not totally suppress the symptoms.  (I vaguely remember an occasion when he rang me in an uncontrolled Hissy Fit and I responded (because I was exhausted) by telling him I was returning home and would be ramming the whole box of tablets down his neck…. Something that I was both then.. and now.. deeply ashamed of). I personally would not have a problem hosting someone with this, and would appreciate their  honesty in advance… in fact I would openly welcome them and encourage them to make a reservation as I appreciate their difficulties.  However, there are many out there that are unaware and ignorant.   Even if they are aware, many can still not totally understand how debilitating this can be.  As previously mentioned, a complete listing would probably be best or if it is a home share, then I would advise that you ask the prospective Host to do some research before confirming your reservation and perhaps take the time to have a chat and understand your side of things,   I sincerely wish you the best 😊

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Marco3258  I like simple solutions so if I were you, I would book only the entire apartment, not the room in someone's home.

I would only ask about sound insulation to make sure I wouldn't disturb the neighbors. I would do the same if I would snore, or have a loud dog or a loud child.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Marco3258 

I once had a friend whose son had Tourettes Syndrome. I, like many, was younger and totally unaware until I learned better.  I would prefer that a guest be honest and upfront when requesting to book.  As long as the guest is honest, I would have no issues and would gladly support them.

I take Airbnb's Non-Discrimination policy to heart.