location and accuracy criteria for superhost status affected by guests who dont read property description

Michael411
Level 2
Port Antonio, Jamaica

location and accuracy criteria for superhost status affected by guests who dont read property description

i am airbnb host 12 years..mostly superhost until covid..our property is off road and requires 5 minute walk up 200 concrete steps..we clearly state this in our property description yet many guests book looking only at a photo..then give us less than 5 stars for location and accuracy causing loss of superhost status without them having to defend their lack of research..after booking we message guests if they are sure this property is suitable for them with little effect..we even changed our name from mango ridge guest cottages to mango ridge backpacker retreat to filter out inappropriate bookings..we have over 700 reviews..most of them make mention of the steps,but some folks dont bother read them..smh..

3 Replies 3
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Michael411 I feel your pain, I truly do!  Our cottage has solid fuel heating (log and coal burner with back boiler linked into the radiators, turn on the pump to heat the radiators). This is mentioned several times in our listing, detailed instructions given in house manual, hard copy as well as the app.. and is also sent via messages with check in details.  Guests are asked to confirm they have read and understand.. and they all do.  The inglenook fireplace with the log burner in takes up almost the entire wall of one room and is clearly shown in our photos.  Twice last year I had guests message me to troubleshoot as they could not get the radiators to warm.  Guest ‘A’ replied with ‘what fire?’ When I asked him if he had it burning hot enough… and Guest ‘B’ informed me that he had not lit the fire but had turned the hot water immersion cylinder on and surely that would do the trick?  … Guests ‘C’ through to ‘Z’ insisted on an expensive plumber call out as surely there had to be a problem with the pump .. on EVERY occasion the plumber had to gently let them know that a fire the size of a tea light candle would not heat 10 radiators.  You cannot force guests to read, and the majority of them (in my experience) don’t.  They just see the photos and the price.  I now close our place down for Dec, Jan and Feb… it’s not worth the stress unless it is for repeat guests

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michael411  If I ever go to Jamaica again, I am definitely booking your place- it is so darn cute and colorful!

You have no photos of the 300 steps, so that is one thing that I would suggest you include. All I see is a close up with an outside lantern and a few steps. I would take a long shot photo of the hill that guests need to climb to make the hike evident.

thanks for the suggestion@ sarah977..mike