is there any hosts in NYC or else where who are stuck with guests who refused to leave after their booking ended? I have 5 of which 3 have living for free almost a year

Bazelais0
Level 2
New York, United States

is there any hosts in NYC or else where who are stuck with guests who refused to leave after their booking ended? I have 5 of which 3 have living for free almost a year

Last year during the pandemic Airbnb encouraged hosts to make changes in their listings to attract long term local guests. I didn't know that in NYC any guest in your house become tenant after 30 days, then only a court order can ask them to leave. When you call Airbnb the response is the case is being worked on in the Safety Department. If you insist, after days and weeks you will be told to call the local authorities, if you feel in danger. That's the final response. Since those guests are "professionals," they do everything they want. They drink, smoke in the rooms and hallway, bring other family members, break doors, use everything in your  kitchen an basement, etc. Five(5) of my seven(7) listings are full with those people!!!!!

4 Replies 4
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Bazelais0 its true, many cities have those claws. You need to get an eviction lawyer and you need to sue these people for non payment of rent. Also, it sounds like this is a homeshare? In that case, I am sure you can just kick them out. They can not become tenants in your own home. Just change the locks

@Bazelais0  This is an infuriating situation - I'm sorry you're going through this. Airbnb acted irresponsibly when it unilaterally pressured hosts to accept long-term bookings without educating them about this very real risk. Unfortunately, there is nothing that Airbnb can actually do for you here. A long-term booking only authorizes Airbnb to collect the first month's rent upfront. If the guest fails to pay beyond this point, the booking will be canceled, but any damage caused by the guest after the termination of the booking is no longer covered by Airbnb. 

Any path out of this mess is probably going to have to run through a lawyer. If law enforcement has to get involved, I certainly hope your listings were all fully compliant with NY's strict regulations. Otherwise, your troubles are only beginning.

Based on the experience you're having, I'm surprised that you still have at least one Airbnb listing that shows availability for long-term rentals. Is that some kind of a baited trap?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The world is filled with humans with good intentions; unfortunately it is also occupied with con artists that take no pity on their fellow man.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Bazelais0  You should consult a lawyer ASAP, because you're going to now get stuck with the dual issues of 1) yes, after 30 days the guest becomes a tenant and 2) all of the covid related 'protections' for tenants who no longer have to pay rent.

Do not expect ANY help from Airbnb.

Maybe hosts who do longer term rentals can chime in on whether or not having long term guests sign a waiver where they explicitly waive their rights as tenants could help going forward or if it would need to be adjudicated via housing court.   Good luck.  Keep us posted.