pets

Emma2663
Level 1
Rhossili, United Kingdom

pets

Hi 

Im new to this and only hosting my 2nd guests.  They have turned up with 2 dogs, 1 being a puppy!  Im happy to accept dogs, but hadn't really considered a puppy.  Anyway the guests have just gone out, after being in all day, I noticed through the window (not prying the light is on and its dark outside, that the bedding has been changed after only 1 night.  It turns out the puppy has been sick.  The guests informed my husband, they have gone to get cleaning products, but i'm not too happy.  They have opened a pack of brand new bedding, just bought, there were other options there, and I assume the puppy has been sick on the brand new white bedding.  They are booked another night, and adding more guests to their party.  Im stressed and would like to know what to do?

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you are going to accept pets and most hosts don't then you need to consider collecting a pet deposit and put in your house rules what sort of pets you accept and costs for pet deposits @Emma2663 

Personally I would never accept a puppy because they can become unsettled in a strange place.

Outrageous your guests  have opened up new bedding (although why would you leave it there - it should be in a locked cupboard if you don't want guests to use it). 

All you can do is speak to the guests and if necessary charge them for extra cleaning etc.

Do leave an honest review and tighten up on your house rules re pets. 

Bad enough they bought a puppy but clearly they have let it sleep/play on the beds.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Emma2663  How are they adding guests to the party?  Is the total number of new guests still within your max? 

It's good they told you about the puppy, but extremely rude to open brand new bedding.  I would give these guests are fairly negative review.

I would thank them for their honesty about the dog, and then tell them as nicely as possible that if they need any more changes of linen to contact you and you will manage it or direct them to what and where linens are available to them.

It's hard to be successful with pet damages and asking guests to pay for damages often results in a revenge review, so now you know your best option is always prevention by trying hard to vet guests in advance.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emma2663  Your listing title is confusing and you should change it. Sleeps 2-8 is not what you want to say.

You list the place for a maximum of 8 guests. That's all you need to enter. Obviously less people could book it  if they want to. Your wording will lead people to think they can show up with 8 without letting you know.

You can have a set charge for up to 4 guests and an extra guest fee for any above that, however you want to work it. Then make that clear in your description, and also question guests when they book as to whether they have entered the correct number of guests on the booking, letting them know that only registered guests will be admitted.

And your listing description is not done correctly. You haven't described the house at all. You need to paint a word picture for guests of the rooms, the layout, the outdoor space, the kitchen provisions, etc. 

What you have written is an introduction, not a description.

I really don't understand why you are listing for 8 guests, though. There are 2 bedrooms which the photos show as having one bed for 2 people in each, and you only have 1 bathroom. Why are you trying to cram 8 people in there? And where are the other 2 beds you list?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Emma2663  I agree with @Sarah977  your listing does not look large enough for 8 guests, at all.  I see two beds and a love seat, which even if it folds down, would only sleep 1, so that is 5 as a maximum.  Your cottage looks too small to have 8 adults staying there.  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Also, the dining table fits 6, so that is a max really. Not sure if there is more than one sofa, but guests need to fit in more activities than sleeping. Just a thought.