possible scams ?

Moshe32
Level 1
Haifa, Israel

possible scams ?

Hi

lately i am getting offers from " guests" who offers me to get a reservation from them. they will never show and i will split the money i  get from airbnb with them.

They ( different times different people ) know how to send their phone number through the airbnb filters and it will always be excused like " the company is paying for the stay but i am hosted by my friend for free  - so i will give you about 30% of the full costs and the rest is for me " .

Real example ( the latest ) 

" Hey,Moshe
I work for a company. She pays for my business trip.
I have a daughter and I want to make some money. I am going to your country, but my friends live there and I will stay with them. I want to save some money on living. But my company will not give me them for nothing. For this I need your help. "

The phone numbers are usually from Russia or Ukraine .

Can someone explain what is the scam here ?

Thanks

Moshe

3 Replies 3
Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

This is a possible sign of money laundry to me. Don't take any chance.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Moshe32  This is a known stolen credit card scheme- the guest books, you send them half the money you haven't received yet, then their credit card is found to be invalid, so you never get any money for their booking. And they will have vanished. 

Many many hosts have reported getting these scams. Report them to Airbnb and don't communicate with the scammers.

Moshe32
Level 1
Haifa, Israel

Thank you Sarah

It is hard to believe that a host will send money to a stranger before getting it  but probably there are since the attempts keeps coming.

Thanks again health and all the best

Moshe